Receiving a bill 1.5 years after leaving an address

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
5 replies 683 views
dunx100dunx100 Forumite
5 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Need some advice on this situation. I lived in a house end of 2011 for 12 weeks. The landlord told me thay'd sweep the chimneys, so I could use the fireplaces. But they didn't. So I had the heating on alot of the time. I also had a woodburner, which became damaged and the landlord refused to fix it. I had just bought £100 worth of logs, which I couldn't use. There were so many issues with the property, they freed me from my lease. The electricity bill was in the landlords name, they had my forwarding address and phone number, and yet, it took 1.5 years for a bill to reach me which the power company sent to a previous address, for some ridiculous sum of money. Does anyone know what my legal rights are with regards to paying the bill? Obviously I will dispute the sum, but after 1.5 years, is there anything I should know about legalities regarding how long it takes for the landlord or power company to bill me? Help appreciated, thanks.


  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    I believe they can charge for the last 12 months.

    Logs, etc are irrelevant.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    Back billing is unlikely to be relevant. From the post it seems a bill will have been issued but it was in the landlord's name. The landlord can take six years to contact the tenant over the bill (as can the power company).

    It is strange that the power company has changed the name - or have they - was the bill from the power company in your name or have you received a demand from the landlord with a copy of a bill in their name?

    Why are you disputing the sum? Did you take opening and closing reads?
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Most of what you say is irrelevant to whether you owe the money or not. If you had sole use of the property and you used the energy you were in a 'deemed contract' with the supplier, so you should have taken opening and closing meter readings, given the supplier your name and payment details, chosen a tariff, given the supplier your forwarding address settled the account after you left. None of this is anything to do with the landlord, your account is your private business and your responsibility.

    'Obviously you will dispute' on what grounds? Your disagreement with the landlord is nothing to do with the supplier. Who is 'they' who had your address, the supplier or the landlord?

    Landlord does not normally bill you for energy unless you have a submeter, supplier can backbill for up to six years, assuming they made an effort to bill at the time. For example bills in the landlord's name or to the occupier, they don't know you are the new tenant unless you properly open your account.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    The crunch issue, as stated above, it that YOU should have notified the Utilty company that you were now the tenant, and given them opening meter readings. On leaving you should have again notified utility company, with meter readings, that you were leaving.

    The fact that you left the account in the landord's name is not relevant as you were on a legally binding deemed contract as soon as you moved into the property.

    The matter is now a third party dispute between you and the landlord; someone has to pay for the electricity.

    Your problem is that the Utility company will simply hand the debt to a Debt Collection Agency(DCA) who are not the slightest bit interested in the merits of the case - they want money.

    If you are convinced that the landlord is 'pulling a fast one' take him to the small claims court.
  • Get a breakdown of the balance, and the dates as to when the say the money was owed. Firstly make sure the amount is corrent & you was at the property at the time. Legally you do have to pay the amount you owe.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals