Mortgage-free Glee!
edited 14 May 2013 at 9:02PM in Reclaim PPI & other insurance
xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I aspire to be mortgage free by July 2014 :staradmin

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    why wouldn't it pay out if you were made redundnant or had a critical illness? Or if you died?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    We are NHS employees (over 25 years each) and were told that we needed the PPI in case we couldn't pay the mortgage if made redundant, sickness etc. We have full NHS entitlements and have recently found out that if something happened, the policy would not pay out.

Are you sure it wouldnt pay out? Whilst that is the case with a number of loan and credit card PPIs, that is not normally the case with Mortgage PPI.

If Santander have said it wont pay out then you have a cast iron complaint. If you are just hearing this third party then you need to check with Santander first.

Do you actually have MPPI? Many people with mortgages get their life assurance and/or critical illness cover or PHI policy mixed up with PPI thinking they are all the same thing. Just checking to be sure.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mrs.T20
    Mrs.T20 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Thanks for responding.
    It's the payment care policy that I am asking about.
    We have been informed that because we are covered through our employers we didn't need the cover and it would not pay out. The bank knew we worked for the NHS and we raised the issue with them about whether we needed this additional cover or not and was advised that we did.
    I'm asking if we have a claim, will it affect our mortgage and if there is any truth in what we have been told?
  • dunstonh
    We have been informed that because we are covered through our employers we didn't need the cover and it would not pay out.

Who informed you of that? It may be right and frequently is with loan and credit card PPI. However, Mortgage PPI tends to be better quality and most MPPI would pay out. Unless someone who knows your policy has informed you, then any other opinion is just a guess.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Mrs.T20
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    We have made a successful claim and the bank paid back all of our payments plus interest :)
    It took one letter and an eight week wait but so very worth it!
  • dunstonh
    Well done. Sounds like you get an auto payout given the short timescale.
  • Mrs.T20
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    They telephoned us to go through our complaint and clarify some information and we received an offer letter a few days later.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Mrs.T20 wrote: »
    They telephoned us to go through our complaint and clarify some information and we received an offer letter a few days later.
    So an auto payout without proper investigation then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure