LCS - billed for wrong address

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
3 replies 551 views
LC1983LC1983 Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
Hi all, new member here and would appreciate any help.

I have received a letter from LCS Utility Investigations asking for £174.91 for British Gas gas supply for an address that I previously lived in but not when the bill specifies (their letter states 11/06/12 - 23/10/12).

I moved out of this house in 2005. I was sharing the house and cannot remember if my name was on the bill or not.

I know I do not owe this money to them, but looking for some advice on how best to deal with them?

Thank you

Replies

• Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignore it as a fishing exercise or send them a 'prove it' letter, should be templates on the 'Debt free Wannabe' board. They can only chase for six years, so 2005 is too long ago even if you did owe something assuming there has been no contact in between.

Would be worth getting your credit files from the three credit reference agencies and checking carefully. You may still be linked to this old property, a dormant account you forgot even existed say. Article on credit ratings on the main MSE site.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • LC1983LC1983 Forumite
    2 Posts
    Just to clarify the bill is for 2012 however I moved out of the property in 2005.

Thankyou for your reply.
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understood that: clearly you don't owe any money from 2012 since you didn't live there, even if you did owe money from 2005 and they made a mistake with the dates it's too late to collect now. Still worth checking you are no longer linked to that address IMO.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals