DLA and working

hopefully someone here can shed some light on this for me.
can someone who is receiving DLA for care and mobility at the highest rate work for 1 day (7 hrs) and be paid minimum wages for it? Please note this is not cash in hand hence the need to check that everything is being done legally.

im not sure where to look for this type of info. hopefully you can help.

Comments

• schrodie
    schrodie Posts: 8,410 Forumite
    I would suggest that as long as the remunerative work doesn't contradict the care and mobility needs that the person requires and is subsequently getting DLA paid at the highest rate for.

So for example if someone is getting DLA mobility at the highest rate and is working as a postman then that may attract the attention of the DWP!
  • supki
    supki Posts: 122 Forumite
    :) the job is sitting at a desk and doing a bit of soldering.
  • supki
    supki Posts: 122 Forumite
    will the employer be breaching any law for hiring someone like this?
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have you still got you award letter when you were first awarded DLA?
    It should say why you have been awarded high care and high mobility DLA.

If your working a whole day contradicts the reasons you have been awarded the DLA then it might cause a problem when you are reassessed.

Have you looked at the criteria for being awarded the high rate care/mobility?

Have your circumstances changed since you were given the award?

Are your employers adapting your regime of work to take account of your care/mobility needs during the day?
  • Newly_retired
    Newly_retired Posts: 2,950 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DLA can be awarded to those who can work as well as those who can't.
    It all depends on your needs and eligibility.
  • sheeps68
    sheeps68 Posts: 670 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If they don't contradict each other of course you can work. DLA is for your care and mobility needs which are entirely separate to out of work benefits.
    I work yet have DLA high moblity and low care. My needs are perhaps less by my working as it keeps my brain active and stops me sinking emotionally. Also I am able to contribute to society which is good for everyone.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Of course someone getting DLA can work.

If the work is less than 16 hours the claimant should call the DWP and explain what work they are doing and ask that it be classed as "permitted work". There will be a reduction in their ESA which can be modelled on a benefit calculator.

If the work is 16 hours or more the person can claim the disability element of working tax credits.

Regardless the disabled person should phone access to work and get an assessment done, they can provide taxi fares, work place adaptions, courses and pretty much anything else that would reasonably help your friend to work on an even footing with his colleagues.

I claim high mobility, medium care and WTC and no one bats an eye lid.
  • that was very interesting GlasweJen, I had never heard of any of that, will pass it on.......thanks very much (sorry, know this is not my post)
    Blackpool_Saver is female, and does not live in Blackpool

• JS477
    JS477 Posts: 1,968 Forumite
    You can work full time and still claim DLA

For ESA the permitted work rules are in a nutshell from Here:-

Working and claiming ESA

Usually your ESA isn’t affected if you:
    • do volunteer work
    • work and earn up to £20 a week
    • work and earn up to £99.50 a week doing work supervised by someone from a local council or voluntary organisation
    • work less than 16 hours a week, earn up to £99.50 a week for up
      to 52 weeks
    This is called ‘permitted work’.

You can also do ‘supported permitted work’ for less than 16 hours a week and earn up to £99.50 a week for up to 52 weeks.

Supported permitted work is supervised by someone from a local council or a voluntary organisation whose job it is to arrange work for disabled people.

If you do permitted work, the Department of Work and Pension (DWP) will send you form PW1 to fill in and send back to them.
  • rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    JS477 wrote: »

If you do permitted work, the Department of Work and Pension (DWP) will send you form PW1 to fill in and send back to them.

Unfortunately, this gets more complex come universal credit.
    It's both more and less rewarding, depending on your circumstances.
    If you are a single person with no housing costs, then it's probably better.
    If you have housing costs, or worse, live in a house along with other members of your family, it can be lots worse.

If you are not single with no housing costs, I would suggest making a claim for ESA, before UC comes in, if appropriate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure