Would you enter this competition (moral)

Options
Hi, I saw a competition and wasn't sure if it would be ethical to enter or not. It was a pregnancy competition but the prize is something anyone would like not just Mums to be. It didnt ask for a due date and I couldn't see anything saying you couldn't enter if you weren't pregnant. Would you still enter it or is it taking it away from someone who is expecting?
Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk

Comments

• weeowens
    weeowens Posts: 81,990 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 29 March 2013 at 4:40PM
    Options
    Hi, I saw a competition and wasn't sure if it would be ethical to enter or not. It was a pregnancy competition but the prize is something anyone would like not just Mums to be. It didnt ask for a due date and I couldn't see anything saying you couldn't enter if you weren't pregnant. Would you still enter it or is it taking it away from someone who is expecting?

Hi,most on here would probably enter to win an empty envelope or to see one being opened,at a premiere of course :-)
    Ethics & rapid comping are distant bedfellows it seems.
    Some would pass the envelope on to a "comping buddy" & some would keep the win for themselves.

Seriously if you want to enter just do it.If want to sell it do that.If you want to pass it to a needy person or charity please do that.

Personally I enter for baby comps etc even though I have no baby as any wins make great gifts.

I won two full School football strips & the receiving schools were very pleased to receive them,even though one of them was not attended by anyone connected with me.The second win came well after the first so I knew the main school was sorted but I still entered :-)

All the best :-)
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    Options
    I certainly would, if it wasn't particularly pregnancy related. I've entered comps from wedding magazines, to win jewellery or hotel stays, even though I've already been married 15 years!!
  • becski
    becski Posts: 1,364 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm always interested in the moral dilemma of comping.

I think it's a matter of whatever you feel comfortable with, everyone has a different idea on the rights and wrongs with this kind of thing.

Personally I enter a lot of comps from websites aimed at parents/grandparents etc... I have 3 nieces and other family members with small children so enter things that they may like.

My own rule is that I don't pretend I have kids, so if the competition/ when registering on a website if I have to enter I have children I don't enter (same with surveys where I'm expected to have read/used the product the survey is about). I think the Hipp website you have to say you have children to register so I don't enter any on there. I also only enter comps that I or someone I know could use the product as I don't comp to sell.

Having said that I have no problem with those who do 'lie' and say that they do have kids etc... because it's each to their own.

Basically my rule is follow your own moral compass and you can't go far wrong with that.
  • ellemm
    ellemm Posts: 11,262 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    weeowens wrote: »
    Hi,most on here would probably enter to win an empty envelope or to see one being opened,at a premiere of course :-)
    Ethics & rapid comping are distant bedfellows it seems.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • EMMAP
    EMMAP Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I have a niece and second cousins who I enter prizes for. I don't feel bad about it. As long as someone can benefit from it.

The only time I don't is if its say a wedding comp and it says 'when are you getting married?'. I'm not gonna outright lie about it!
    Debt free 6th December 2014 :)

'Kindness is a simple act to show someone that you see them and that they're worth it'
  • Blulu
    Blulu Posts: 7,666 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 27 March 2013 at 12:31PM
    Options
    Aw Weeowens, I don't agree with ya when you say, "Ethics & rapid comping are distant bedfellows it seems."

I think most compers have strong morals and ethics, they just don't always agree about what is/isn't moral and ethical.

OP, this is an interesting one. Personally, I rarely enter for comps in that type of situation. I have occasionally when it felt 'right', I can't really explain why sometimes it feels right where mostly it doesn't. It isn't to do with the value of the prize, it's more to do with the comp itself and how it's worded.

For example, if it's a wedding prize that I could use, I usually won't enter, because clearly they want the prize to go to someone to help them with their wedding. However, if it's from a wedding magazine and they present it like any other comp - i.e. no emphasis on a wedding, then I might enter.

As EMMAP said, I would definitely not lie to enter a comp.

I did win a lovely bottle of hooch in a Father's day comp, even though neither of us have parents anymore. Sometimes, I feel like, why should I have to sacrifice soooooo many competitions just because my parents have died and I can't have children. Part of me thinks I should have extra entries for what I've lost, rather than lose out again.

Still, the bottom line is that we should follow our own conscience about these things - but it's interesting to debate them :)

Blu X
    I am brave, I am bruised
    I am who I'm meant to be
    I'm not scared to be seen
    I make no apology
    THIS IS ME!
  • kit34
    kit34 Posts: 2,945 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    yep id definatly enter use what i could and sell the rest !
    trying to get somne wedding money together so im not really to fussed about the " morals" ... nowt thats meant for you passes you by "
    my name is Kit and im addicted to competitions , the what if is my driving force :D !!

• starrybee
    starrybee Posts: 1,917 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I would enter if it was something everyone would want, non-pregnant people like ipads just as much as pregnant people! (For example.)
  • paadzer
    paadzer Posts: 1,845 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As a man I don't think I could get away with entering
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    id enter it if it wasnt even pregnancy related and if it says u can then why not

i dont enter wedding prizes pr honeymoon comps though
    What goes around-comes around
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family