splitting inhertiance

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
5 replies 1.3K views
anmarjanmarj Forumite
1.8K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
Just a quick query, I am hoping I am wrong in my assumption but I want to know what my options would be if it were correct.

My late mother died unexpectedly last year in October, although I did all the donkey work (ie funeral, house clearance despite being 7 months preganant - that is another story) my sister handled all the financial side of things. My mother did not leave a will, everything has been pretty straight forward in that there was less than £6k and bills etc have been paid, She was waiting on some money coming in, but we would get £1500 approx each. I got an interim payment of £1k, so should be due £500 approx. I enquired with her a couple a weeks ago as to weather the WFP payment had arrived and she said it had and would be paying the balance soon. I have a feeling I may not see that £500, would not put it past her that she has earmarked my share for herself with some excuse as to why she should have it. If the worst happens and she does not give me the money, is there any steps I could take or would it be lost? She did send me an email showing how the estate is worked out, in January so I know roughly the estate amount. I will be see her this weekend for 24 hurs but not plan on asking (tree planting and burying my mother ashes) but want to see what happens in due course.

Replies

• madbadrobmadbadrob Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    You would have to take a civil action against your sister in the small claims court but to be honest for £500 is it worth it?

Rob
  • anmarjanmarj Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, i might just write it off if the worst happens, I am off on maternity at the moment and had been using what I had been given for that, and was planning on using that money for the same thing.

My relationship with my sister is crap anyway due to past history
  • anmarjanmarj Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    well just to update, she did what I thought she did and spent my share of the balance as they had "personal expenses and had to purchase a new laptop due to her spilling wine" so have expressed my displeasure, she does know when she has to pay by, I am now in the doghouse with her for expressing that displeasure and pointing out that the money was not for her personal expenses, think small claims court is the only way forward
  • RASRAS Forumite
    29.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try a letter before action and give her a reasonable time to collect the money instead of the usual 7 days?
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • anmarjanmarj Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    she claims she can pay me half now (this was over a week ago) and the rest by mid may/end of may, will wait and see what happens. Luckily other half can loan me the money I need, he knows that he may not get it back but will wait and see
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides