extortionate solicitors fees?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Deaths, Funerals & Probate
27 replies 3.2K views
13»

Replies

• loubel wrote: »
    In honesty, £5K of fees for solicitor executors is about what I'd expect for a small estate. Because they've provided an itemised account of time spent, their hourly rate is pretty reasonable and their total fee matches their original estimate, I suspect you will struggle to argue their fees.

They have added a value charge on top of that though which might be arguable. Although they are accepted as a legitimate charge by solicitor executors they must still be reasonable taking into account their hourly rate and overall fee. As a % the value element is quite high (approx 3.5% by my calculation). Was it disclosed in their original letter discussing fees?

hi thanks for the reply it wasn't 5k it was almost £7500. £2500 over their estimate. The value added charge was in their original letter.
  • loubelloubel Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    it wasn't 5k it was almost £7500. £2500 over their estimate. The value added charge was in their original letter.

Are you sure? The invoice you have posted shows an interim bill of £4,200 plus vat and costs and a final invoice of £800 plus vat, costs and their value fee. I cannot see the additional £2,500 you mention. The total administrative expenses is shown as just under £7,500, but that's not just the solicitor fees - solicitor's fees are nearly always quoted excluding vat and costs.

Is your complaint still with the ombudsman?
  • madbadrobmadbadrob Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Like Loubel I dont see anything wrong with those accounts. It seems their prices are inline with other solicitors out there. This is why I would never use a solicitor for administrating an estate unless they were doing it on a fixed fee basis.

Rob
  • Kayalana99Kayalana99 Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you can't do anything about these fee's then!

On the other side of the coin though maybe you would have a really good case on the fact they auctioned of the items without your consent.

Either on the fact they have emotional vaule...or the fact that they were worth more selling them yourself then what you got for them.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
    Are you sure? The invoice you have posted shows an interim bill of £4,200 plus vat and costs and a final invoice of £800 plus vat, costs and their value fee. I cannot see the additional £2,500 you mention. The total administrative expenses is shown as just under £7,500, but that's not just the solicitor fees - solicitor's fees are nearly always quoted excluding vat and costs.

Is your complaint still with the ombudsman?

I see your point, I still feel as if I have been robbed. I was left 19k, and I only get to keep less than 5k.
    Perhaps I should just let it go, its making me ill just thinking about it all the time. My complaint is still with the ombudsmen, but I dont think I'm going to pursue it.
    Thank you all for your help.:)
    They have added a value charge on top of that though which might be arguable. Although they are accepted as a legitimate charge by solicitor executors they must still be reasonable taking into account their hourly rate and overall fee. As a % the value element is quite high (approx 3.5% by my calculation). Was it disclosed in their original letter discussing fees?
    Sorry, I overlooked that part of your post.
    In their original letter it mentioned that they would charge 1% of the gross (pre-tax) value of the estate.
  • loubelloubel Forumite
    542 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    Sorry, I overlooked that part of your post.
    In their original letter it mentioned that they would charge 1% of the gross (pre-tax) value of the estate.

Ok well, unless my maths is wrong, they have charged more than that so you could probably argue that that bit should be reduced.

But do try not to dwell on it too much if you can. See what the ombudsman comes back with and then try to put it behind you.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides