Advice re: Safety checks

ebaybaby
ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
edited 23 March 2013 at 6:58PM in Small biz MoneySaving
I run a drama class for children, I am moving to new premises which will be my own and just wondered what I need in place for it to be a safe enviroment. I have previously rented so all that has already been taken care of.
TIA

Comments

• terra_ferma
    terra_ferma Posts: 5,484 Forumite
    ebaybaby wrote: »
    I run a drama class for children, I am moving to new premises which will be my own and just wondered what I need in place for it to be a safe enviroment. I have previously rented so all that has already been taken care of.
    TIA

I've never worked with small children, but the principles of H&S are the same.
    H&S is your responsibility even if you rent the premises, if anything happens, e.g. something out of place and a kid trips, it's your neck on the line, not the landlord's.
    You probably did that without thinking, I'm sure you were looking at trip hazards, depending on the age also chocking, and you were familiar with the fire evacuation procedure. You need to make sure you keep a record of what risks you have identified and what you have done to minimise them (e.g. certain activities require one to one supervision).

Unfortunately small children is just about the only client group I've not worked with, in the past, so I'm not the best person to help you with this, but maybe your professional body and/or council will have some information?

Just googling I found these, to give you some pointers:
    http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/5926B0DC-F491-40D0-85B2-E1EF32681614/0/ArtDramaDance_Risk_Assess.pdf
    http://www.dovermuseum.co.uk/Education/Risk-Assessments/Drama-Workshops.aspx
  • ebaybaby
    ebaybaby Posts: 873 Forumite
    Terra-ferma, thank you so much, the links are perfect.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure