Not For Profit

Options
otismotis
otismotis Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 23 March 2013 at 11:46AM in Small biz MoneySaving
Can anybody help me to find the best vehicle to achieve my aim please? I want to formalise a small dog rescue facility run from my home so that I can fund raise, but do not want to reg as a charity and lose control. I will use all funds to further the rescue of more animals and although I run my own business also dog related, want to keep that separate. I have read about various models but which is the best for me?

Comments

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    otismotis wrote: »
    Can anybody help me to find the best vehicle to achieve my aim please? I want to formalise a small dog rescue facility run from my home so that I can fund raise, but do not want to reg as a charity and lose control. I will use all funds to further the rescue of more animals and although I run my own business also dog related, want to keep that separate. I have read about various models but which is the best for me?

Take expert advice. The internet is not the best place for this.

You could simply run it as a sole trader. Charge less than it costs and it won't be for profit ... or give any surplus generated away to further the rescue of more animals. :)

Or you could register it as a not for profit company.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Why would registering it as a charity make you lose control?
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • otismotis
    Options
    Thanks Phil 99 I would lose control if I ran a charity as I would have to engage trustees, who would ulitmately have control of the decision making process and I could not be one as I have the skills to do the rehab and rehome work.
  • phill99
    phill99 Posts: 9,093 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think that you understand the role of trustees. They won't be involved in the decision making concerning animal welfare, reforming eye. They are set up much like governors of a school and are there to ensure that the charity is run correctly. You as the Chief Executive of the charity are the one the makes the routine and managerial decisions. I think you have been misinformed.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
  • OllysMum_2
    Options
    Have a look at the Social Enterprise UK website Social Enterprises are usually not for profit (not always) and are run for a social purpose.

If you're in Scotland there is a lot of free support available. See here

As for business model - look at Community Interest Companies and Companies Ltd by Guarantee - both commonly used in the not for profit world when it's not a charity. However, I'd also explore charitable status - sometimes there are a lot of hoops to jump through, but the tax breaks can make it worth it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure