We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Council tax rebanding hope as Government pushes to end incorrect 'six-month

Options
124»

Comments

• gb39
    gb39 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Very little chance of a successful appeal against an Invalidity Notice based on the 6 month time limit, as that time limit is set out in Statute.

Trying to use the appeal procedure just invites the VOA to take the easy way out by serving an Invalidity Notice.

As has been pointed out by several subscribers to this thread, in your circumstances all you can do is to write to the VOA, reminding them of their statutory duty to maintain the quality of the List and explaining exactly why you consider the List is wrong with regard to your property.

You have no right of appeal against their decision if you were outside the 6 month time limit, but that does not stop you sending repeated letters pointing out why you still think the Banding is incorrect. Persistence can pay off.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,746 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Very little to add to gb39's informative post except to say if you did appeal the invalidity notice, the subsequent Tribunal Hearing would only consider the invalidity issue and not concern itself with the merits of your argument for a band reduction.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • cinders1_2
    Options
    Thank you for the replies. I am wondering if it is worth going to the tribunal hearing at all then. I wonder if anyone has successfully appealed against an Invalidity Notice?....so frustrating.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,746 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I worked in VOA for many years, last 12 settling CT appeals, I don't recall a single invalidity appeal succeeding. Basically the appeal is either made within the time limits or it isn't, there is no middle ground.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport