We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Council tax rebanding hope as Government pushes to end incorrect 'six-month

Options

Comments

• dizzy16
    Options
    I wish the programme makers would do their research properly; it's embarrassing.

Anyone who becomes a new taxpayer in a property has 6 months to lodge an official appeal. This means that if you don't agree with the valuation office response you have an opportunity to take the case before an independent tribunal panel

Any other taxpayer has the right to ask the valuation office to look into their banding if they feel it is wrong. The only difference is there is no right to take to a tribunal if they don't agree with the decision.

What the council has to do with it all I haven't the foggiest as they do not maintain the council tax list.

i have recently moved from an expensive area where i was band C into a less expensive area which i would assume keep my band?
    but as where i now live you get more for your money i am now band D ?
    if the valuations go on price not size why has my band changed ? surely if this area is less expensive now it must have been in 1991 ? any views ?
    i have checked as Martin surgests and it would seem i am in the right band ? but still wonder as i sold my band c house for more than i bought the band D one for ?>????
    Diz
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    It has all to do with rentals (back in 1991). You could have found your CT band before you purchased, so there would be no surprises - but you don't seem to have done this and simply assumed?

Assuming your banding is the same as your neighbours, then there is little else you can do - except bask in the knowledge you've clearly bettered yourself by moving upmarket!
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,813 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dizzy16 wrote: »
    i have recently moved from an expensive area where i was band C into a less expensive area which i would assume keep my band?
    but as where i now live you get more for your money i am now band D ?
    if the valuations go on price not size why has my band changed ? surely if this area is less expensive now it must have been in 1991 ? any views ?
    i have checked as Martin surgests and it would seem i am in the right band ? but still wonder as i sold my band c house for more than i bought the band D one for ?>????
    Diz

Not everywhere has the same correlation of prices between 1991 and 2012/3. I know 3 towns within 20 miles of another where the prices in 1991 high to low were Town A, Town B, Town C. The order is now B, C, A.

So the net increase in price in your old area may be a lot more than in your current area. There is also the possibility that Band C was too low for your old house.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • gb39
    gb39 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March 2013 at 5:23PM
    Options
    The 6 month time limit applies to new owners making an appeal which may be taken to the Valuation Tribunal.

Any owner or occupier can request at any time that the Valuation Office carries out its statutory responsibility to maintain the quality of the valuation list; specify their property; and explain why they think it may be wrong.

The list is based on value levels at April 1991 and the state of the property as at 1993. For properties built (or altered) after April 1993, the Valuation Office has to use judgement as to what the 1991 value would have been.

Alterations and extensions after April 1993 are not reflected in the list AS LONG AS OWNERSHIP IS UNCHANGED. In technical jargon, until after a relevant transaction.

Be extra careful, if you are challenging the banding of a property which you have acquired after April 1993, to make sure that there have been no alterations between that date and the date of purchase as these might push the property into a higher band. Installion of central heating or adding a conservatory are examples that might affect value. Any improvements you have made after purchase do not come into the calculation.

Councils are not involved in banding or the appeals process. They do, however, send out the Council Tax Demands and so are an easy way of communicating information to taxpayers regarding the procedures for band alterations.
  • Mazzy60
    Options
    I worked for the council taking council tax payments and we gave customers the main valuation office details but was also told to tell customers to ring the valuation department at the local council but as I had been successful myself in getting rebanded at a lower level through contacting the main office I advised them to do this. I bought my property in 1978 and didn't apply until 2004 for a posible rebanding. This was done very easily on the phone, I was asked a number of questions and was told that I would be informed when a decision had been made. The next thing I received was a wad of council tax bill credits for each year since 1993. Added up this came to around £900. The process was very easy and straightforward for me and I realise that I have been lucky but it shows that it is worth trying.
  • Spug_2
    Spug_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, my nan tried for this when she first moved into her house, which was around 1999, she got told her band was correct. I have since then taken a look online, after reading about this and it seams ever other house down her road is a band below or band below that band. She is the only one on her road to be on a band that no other house is on, and that is the highest band down her road.

There could be no way that it's a coincidence that she is in the correct band and everyone else is in the wrong band down her road. If you was to compare houses, her house needs a lot of work doing to help restore the outside look of it, also she needs double glazing windows, which pretty much all other houses have down her road apart from hers.

Do you think she has a chance a good chance? and could i phone up for her because she just seams to believe anything anyone tells her?
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Spug wrote: »
    Do you think she has a chance a good chance? and could i phone up for her because she just seams to believe anything anyone tells her?

What you don't say in your post is if her house is exactly the same or very similar to the others in her road. Without this info it is difficult to say whether she has a case or not.

You can act as your nan's agent, but you should get her agreement first.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Spug_2
    Spug_2 Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    What you don't say in your post is if her house is exactly the same or very similar to the others in her road. Without this info it is difficult to say whether she has a case or not.

You can act as your nan's agent, but you should get her agreement first.

The houses are all very similar, built exactly the same. Although the odd few have been put into downstairs and upstairs flates. Like I said, Her house needs alot more work done on the outside ( New windows, New door, Rendering etc ) compared to the look of the other houses down Her road. From that, it just doesn't seam right she is in a higher band and paying more and everyone elses House on Her road is the band below Hers.
  • lincroft1710
    Options
    Spug wrote: »
    The houses are all very similar, built exactly the same. Although the odd few have been put into downstairs and upstairs flates. Like I said, Her house needs alot more work done on the outside ( New windows, New door, Rendering etc ) compared to the look of the other houses down Her road. From that, it just doesn't seam right she is in a higher band and paying more and everyone elses House on Her road is the band below Hers.

So would it be the case that the flats are in the lower bands.

Unfortunately state of repair cannot be taken into account in calculating CT bands, so the fact the doors, windows and rendering need replacing will not affect the band.

However if you can find a very similar house in a lower band in the road, it is worth another approach to the VOA.
  • gasmanmartin
    Options
    Hi all, looking for a bit of advice regarding the 6 month issue.

Within the last few weeks i have tried unsuccessfully to downgrade my banding as i'm the only one in the street that is in a higher band. The letter i received back made a big deal about the 6 month rule and that the assessor checked the band and believed it was correct.
    He does mention that i can appeal but he is asking for the reasons why the appeal should be accepted out with the period laid down by statute.

Can i just say that i think it's wrong or do i need to be a bit more in depth?

Also i was reading the Brandon Lewis letter and it only has reference to England so i'm at a bit of a loss what to put in this appeal letter as i don't want to muck it up and waste my chances.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.8K Life & Family
  • 249.5K Travel & Transport