How long should a boiler last - consumer Law?

Options
13»

Comments

• wonkytechy
    wonkytechy Posts: 17 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi again - not for free no - however I'm pleased they're even bothering as its the installer who was at fault. Whats happened is that water has leaked onto a pcb and consequently the pcb is blowing the electric out. The manufacturer are charging what I think is a reasonable fee to fix but this is reduced to 90 pounds if they can't fix. The moral of this story is that you must get a warranty when you get jobs done like this ( not my boiler).
    In reference to new systems I think it maybe even pointless to get these serviced due to their seemingly short shelf life and plastic ness which is a shame....I say this as I've had a boiler service which cost £200 - repeating this every 2 years as the manufacturer recommends means that I would have spent £1000 and may still need a new boil after 10 years.
  • southcoastrgi
    southcoastrgi Posts: 6,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Road_Hog wrote: »
    Yes, they are still available. You wouldn't buy one through one of the normal central heating companies that would come and fit it.

However, they are still available and imported into the country and you can purchase them. The problem is, that no Corgi person should fit it, as they by law should be the new condenser type.

But, if you're fitting it yourself, that isn't a problem. I looked into this last year, as I don't intend to replace my boiler with a condenser unit, as they're expensive and don't last very long. From memory, the booilers are Italian and from about £400.

Just do a Google on it and you find DIY/gas fitter forums where people have already discussed it.

What boilers are those then ??

I hope you aren't getting a Corgi "person" to fit one !!
    wonkytechy wrote: »
    In reference to new systems I think it maybe even pointless to get these serviced due to their seemingly short shelf life and plastic ness which is a shame....I say this as I've had a boiler service which cost £200 - repeating this every 2 years as the manufacturer recommends means that I would have spent £1000 and may still need a new boil after 10 years.

If you don't get it serviced & the benchmark book filled out every year (not every two years) then the warentee is null & void so your boiler may not last 10 yrs before you are replacing it, if you are paying £200 for a service then you are being ripped off, service costs are between £50 - £80
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
  • Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 23 March 2013 at 6:36PM
    Options
    What boilers are those then ??

I hope you aren't getting a Corgi "person" to fit one !!

http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/vokera-boilers-and-accessories

Look to the right where it says non condensing. There are many more, of different types, I'm only giving you one example, feel free to Google for more.

Corgi persons are only allowed to fit them when they are exempt from the building regs, i.e. where it is not possible to fit a condenser boiler.
  • southcoastrgi
    edited 23 March 2013 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Road_Hog wrote: »
    http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/vokera-boilers-and-accessories

Look to the right where it says non condensing. There are many more, of different types, I'm only giving you one example, feel free to Google for more.

Corgi persons are only allowed to fit them when they are exempt from the building regs, i.e. where it is not possible to fit a condenser boiler.

you will need to have a survey done to see if you can get over 1000 points to allow you to fit a non condensing model, which is unlikely.

these are standard efficency boilers which will cost more to run, plus they will still have electronics, a pcb & no permanant pilot light

Corgi persons aren't allowed to fit any kind of boilers

• Thomas_Hardy
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    It depends how you define 'last'.

The generally accepted 'rule of thumb' with modern boilers is around 10 years before they become uneconomical to repair when a major item needs replacement.

However 'in consumer law' they only need to last as long as the Guarantee.
    Cardew wrote: »
    http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/nireland/consumer_ni/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/faulty_goods_e/what_is_meant_by_not_of_satisfactory_quality.htm

If a boiler has, say, a two year guarantee and then develops a fault(s) after that period, I am pretty sure that you would have no redress under the Sale of Goods act.

A boiler will last 'forever' if it is repaired and repaired and repaired.

In the OP's case to try to take action under consumer law for a faulty 5 year old boiler is doomed IMO. It is, in effect, expecting a guarantee to last 5 years.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. The guarantee has no relation to a consumer's rights under SoGA.

SoGA looks at how long it is reasonable for an item to last, and a boiler costing a few thousand pounds will be expected to last beyond two years. However the right to a remedy only applies under certain circumstances. After six months, in order to assert their rights under SoGA, the consumer has to prove that the item was inherently faulty, so the faulty part was destined to fail because it was not of a satisfactory standard. This is pretty easy, a report from an engineer will normally suffice.

Whilst the OP's situation is different (they have established fault lay with the installer), I got a free repair from Ideal after five years due to a faulty diverter valve. Again, nothing to do with the guarantee, but my legal right where I proved a part to be inherently faulty.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    I got a free repair from Ideal after five years due to a faulty diverter valve. Again, nothing to do with the guarantee, but my legal right where I proved a part to be inherently faulty.

After five yrs it wasn't inherently faulty just wear & tear or an incorrectly maintained system, i'd love to know how you proved that

• Thomas_Hardy
    Options
    After five yrs it wasn't inherently faulty just wear & tear or an incorrectly maintained system, i'd love to know how you proved that

Ideal acknowledged there was a known problem with the diverter valve (this was the second time it had been replaced). I supplied reports from two Gas Safe engineers to confirm the part had not been designed to last for a reasonable length of time - they had both seen several fail within a similar length of time ;)

I'd love to know how you know it was not inherently faulty, when you've not seen the boiler. Indeed, you don't even know which model it is!
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    because if it was inherently faulty it wouldn't have lasted 5 yrs & no rgi could tell you that, I've seen loads of boilers fail for all kinds of reasons within that time are you trying to say that all those had inherently faulty parts, some maye have but you can't prove it's not down to wear & tear.

but well done on getting Ideal to replace it, I find it hard enough to get them come out let alone replace anything

• Road_Hog
    Road_Hog Posts: 2,749 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you will need to have a survey done to see if you can get over 1000 points to allow you to fit a non condensing model, which is unlikely.

these are standard efficency boilers which will cost more to run, plus they will still have electronics, a pcb & no permanant pilot light

Corgi persons aren't allowed to fit any kind of boilers

Point 1, I know that and I mentioned building regs, so why are you regurgitating this to me?

Oh my, you're not the sharpest tool. Which part of my post did you not understand that these are standard (i.e. non condensing) boilers did you not understand? Who says they cost more to run, some green tax idiot who is making a shedload of money out of the scam? They cost a few quid more, but nothing in comparison to the extra expense of buying a 'con' boiler and having last about 8 years.

Corgi persons are allowed to fit this can of boiler if the building regs allow, i.e. it is feasable to fit a 'con' boiler. Whcih I mentioned in my earlier post.

Please try reading and understanding what I've posted before you post the same crud back to me.
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    oh dear I was trying to be kind to you,

I told you about point 1 because unless you can get to 1000 points you AREN'T allowed to fit an SE boiler.

they cost more to run because (surprisingly) they are standard effiency boilers & therefore not 'A' rated (over 90%) which all condensing boilers must be.

If someone who isn't an RGI ie a DIY installer fits a boiler they can't fill out the req paperwork which means the manu guarentee is null & void from day one, so any & all repairs will have to be paid for by the customer, & the installation may well be dangerious if it is fitted incorrectly.

My final point & i so waited for this & I will put it in capitals so even you can understand it.

CORGI HASN'T RUN THE GAS REG IN THIS COUNTRY FOR 4 YEARS, IT IS THE GAS SAFE REGISTER, SO YOU HAVE TO BE GAS SAFE REG NOT CORGI REG.

maybe instead of using google to try & find a way to illegally install a boiler you should use it to find out the currant regulations

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure