Disabled Child - how do I get a social worker

Options
13»

Comments

• AlwaysHappy
    AlwaysHappy Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Food for thought indeed, and lots of things to follow up. its so frustrating. I can't imagine my son ever leading an unsupported life and yet the only support he gets is from his Dad and I , and surely we can't do it all - that couldn't possibly be in his best interests could it. Does anyone know what the "criteria" consists of? Last time we were assessed we failed the criteria inspite of me having chronic fatigue and him being totally independent.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
  • bigboybrother
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right place to post but thought it would be a good place to start. In a nutshell my son is now 15, registered disabled and functioning at possibly about an 8 year old level. Struggles with many things and yet we can't seem to access any support for him. I have heard about direct payments (I know this is changing) but when I tried last year to access any help was told that our family did not meet the criteria. I have M E myself and am struggling to cope with the worry of all the things we need to do to help him become independent. It would be super if we could get some sort of support (preferably nearer his age) to help integrate him into life and support his independent life skills learning. It is too big a task for us and I don't think its healthy for us to be his only support. Any suggestions? Many thanks.
    He will shortly be 16 and will be treated as an adult. SS will only be interested in his input from then on. He ceases, technically, to be your responsibity at that age.

Get him to the GP so that he can instigate SS involvement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure