DFW Mummy & family

Options
Princess_nola1
Princess_nola1 Posts: 154 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 22 March 2013 at 7:52AM in Debt free diaries
Hi there,

I've been a lurker on the DFW boards and love reading others journeys, so thought I'd start to write my own. I'm a 24 year old, married new mum to DS (now aged 19 months) to lovely hubby.

I had my LBM in December 2012, where just before Christmas I was adamant that the new year would see us spending and saving responsibly. Most of December was spent reading the boards, gathering knowledge and mentally preparing myself for the challenge we faced in 2013.

As a pair, we had a total debt (not including our mortgage or car finance) of £5774.72. This may not sound a lot to most, but it's enough for us!!

I completed a Statement of Affairs, where we were shocked to find that we had spent approx £700 on groceries in one month. It was the run up to Christmas, but there's still no excuse for this huge bill!! Heplful comments were given and now we're in a much better position.

We've recently upgraded the car, which has dropped repayments by £100+ a month with a cheaper insurance group. We dropped Sky, changed our broadband and telephone provider, changed our boiler cover provider and started to shop in cheaper supermarkets with a monthly budget of £300, using the Monthly Grocery Challenge on the Old Style board as an incentive!

With the help of the "Earn £2013 in £2013" thread and the "POAMAYC in 2013" thread, we've paid off a total of £684.91 from the £5774.72. We've broken the £2000 mark on the CC that charges interest. I'm very pleased!

Thanks for reading and thank you to those who have inspired me to tackle our debts and save responsibly for our future. If I can help towards just one others LBM and DF journey, I'll be a happy bunny.

Cheers!:beer:
When it's dark, look for stars. When it's raining look for rainbows.
DFW - Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£3149.71[/STRIKE]£0! Capital One CC:[STRIKE] £2242.01[/STRIKE]£0! :T Overdraft: [STRIKE]£283[/STRIKE] £0! :T

Comments

• Mrs_Toast
    Mrs_Toast Posts: 450 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Princess_nola1 and welcome to being a DFW. You've made a cracking start so keep it going.

I've found writing in my diary everyday motivated and aware of what I'm spending.

Good luck xx
    TOTAL DEBT £12,212.46/£2000 paid off
    Debt Free Goal September 2017
    #106 Emergency Fund £482.53/£1000
  • Princess_nola1
    Options
    Thank you Mrs Toast!

I've done a big grocery shop today, but will update everything properly once DS is tucked up in bed & I have a glass of wine in my hand!!!! Poor thing has an ear infection :-(
    DFW - Tesco CC: [STRIKE]£3149.71[/STRIKE]£0! Capital One CC:[STRIKE] £2242.01[/STRIKE]£0! :T Overdraft: [STRIKE]£283[/STRIKE] £0! :T
  • Mrs_Toast
    Options
    That sounds just like me but DS has a really bad cough. We're going on holiday on Monday so hope he improves. Hope your DS feels better soon
  • Princess_nola1
    Options
    Thanks, Mrs Toast! Your DS too! Hope you get to enjoy your holiday, off anywhere nice?
  • Princess_nola1
    Princess_nola1 Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2013 at 8:05PM
    Options
    Right, so. Grocery shop this morning took my total grocery spend from £168.99 to £235.16, by spending a whopping £66.17. I'm hoping that from this, I'll be able to stretch out a good week and a bits worth of meals, as well as making some soup for the freezer to get us through for packed lunches at work.

Unfortunately, this leaves only £64.84 in the budget to last us until 14th April. I don't see this happening. Do you?

Despite the god awful weather here, I've spent this afternoon whilst DS was napping, making my own Victoria Sponge which looks amazing. Taking it to my mum's tomorrow for a get together :)

Also made another £8.48 after fees and postage on eBay - decluttering is the best thing ever! Making money from stuff we don't want anymore and our house is getting tidier!!

After registering my Saturday Night Takeaway chance to win £20,000 on the Morrisons website, I'm away to drink wine with the hubby and enjoy a night of rubbish telly. Or maybe a film... Any recommendations!?

Nola x
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,552 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy shiney new diary!
    Keep posting!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Princess_nola1
    Options
    Decided on The Iron Lady. It's quite good so far!
  • Mrs_Toast
    Options
    Morning,

The Iron Lady is a great film but it's a bit sad realising how much she has deteoriated :(. We are off to 'sunny' ayrshire :rotfl:and then dumfries and galloway. At least we have plenty of indoor activities planned if the weather stays like it is.

Have you considered writing a meal plan out up until payday? It saves me a fortune and as there are only 3 of us we can stretch £30 a week by eating out the freeezer and pantry. The grocery challenge on Old Style Moneysaving has a great list of cheap meals, desserts etc which come in handy some weeks :rotfl:
  • jo91
    jo91 Posts: 269 Forumite
    Options
    Congrats on having your LBM so young Princess - not meaning to be patronising, but I'm sure after reading through the diaries you have read that this is the time when many of us started to go wrong. So, well done you :T

I'm a mum to 2 DDs and have tended to overspend on groceries (it's my way of caring for my family by ensuring that they are well fed, but I realise that there are smarter ways of doing the same thing).

Keep up the good work and Mrs T's suggestion is a great one - meal planning and checking out the OS board.

Hope you both have much healthier children very soon.
    Jo
  • Princess_nola1
    Options
    Thanks Jo91, I'm wise for my years and always have been!

This weekend has been fairly quiet so far. Been to the in-laws to try and sort through my & DHs things left there as to what we want to keep, bin or sell. A fair few Uni books to get rid of, games etc. Wondering where to look at finding out how much an unopened childrens train set would sell for? Any ideas?!

Nola x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure