reclaiming bank charges 2003-present

Options
Hi all,

Just wanted a bit of advice. Just gone through my past 10yrs bank statements for an entirely different matter, and have decided to log all my bank charges. Totals £2500 with 3 different banks, Yorkshire, Halifax and Santander/Abbey, going back to 2002.

1) Can i reclaim these charges?
2) Some of these banks seem to have disappeared or have been re-named. Does this matter?
3) Has there been a ruling of some sort that time-barrs me??

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) Can i reclaim these charges?

No. Those days have long gone.
    2) Some of these banks seem to have disappeared or have been re-named. Does this matter?

no
    3) Has there been a ruling of some sort that time-barrs me??

yes. The banks won the court case on bank charges.

Nowadays, banks will only consider goodwill gestures for first time errors/mistakes by the account holder (or long gaps in between) or those currently in financial hardship.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • scousefowler
    Options
    So is that a big fat no on all counts then?? :((
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,534 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It is. Unless you are in current financial hardship (have priority debts, in arrears/defaults etc) then its a no. Even then, its only your current bank that will consider the charges and some will only go back 6 months.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    It is. Unless you are in current financial hardship (have priority debts, in arrears/defaults etc) then its a no. Even then, its only your current bank that will consider the charges and some will only go back 6 months.

Could you tell me more? I am currently having problems and am setting up a DMP so have difficulties. I have just been slapped with some charges this month and last month and now will struggle to not default next month as they cone out on the first and they've already took the charges
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    zenshi wrote: »
    Could you tell me more? I am currently having problems and am setting up a DMP so have difficulties. I have just been slapped with some charges this month and last month and now will struggle to not default next month as they cone out on the first and they've already took the charges

You will need to speak to your bank and prove you are in financial hardship and have done everything you can to cut back spending (cancel sky TV, magazine subscriptions, mobile phone contracts, gym memberships etc)
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    zenshi wrote: »

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2428497

:)
  • zenshi
    zenshi Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you. I will go into the branch on Saturday. I wish I had stuff like that to cancel!!!
    LBM.....sometime in 2013 £27,056. 10 creditors
    June 20.....£7,587.....3 creditors left 72% paid

£26,200 on interest only part of mortgage (July 16)...will chip away £17,103
    £49,200 repayment mortgage ( July 16) £37,764
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport