We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Overseas Spending - Perfect Credit Cards

2»

Comments

  • r1402
    r1402 Posts: 5 Forumite
    I'm going to the US for 3 weeks in the summer and am trying to work out the best way to spend. I've read various articles and understand that the specialist credit cards are good. However, to avoid interest charges on cash withdrawals is it possible to 'pre-pay' the card - so for example if I know I am going to spend £500 I can pay £500 'off' my credit card bill before I leave so that I am £500 in credit?
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Preloading is not advised as it's against the CC's T&C, althoug you can be lucky to get away with this.
    However, unless the APR is sky high, daily interest is negligibly small. You can almost avoid it by making payments to the CC soon after withdrawing.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.