how do you keep track of all your money saving

Options
I try to save money and cut back etc but feel demotivated when I cant see exactly what I am saving...what ways do you use to keep track of all your sucesses?

Comments

• treasureirealnds
    Options
    i keep a table on excel. I've got all my cashback sites on there, freebies claimes, tesco MOC savings, car boot and ebay
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I try to save money and cut back etc but feel demotivated when I cant see exactly what I am saving...what ways do you use to keep track of all your sucesses?

I've been keeping a weekly diary of my savings on this board, actually.

I try to write a new entry every Monday (or thereabouts!). I've found that this helps to keep me motivated and spurs me on when I haven't really done much cutting back or switching suppliers. :o It does work but it can be difficult finding the time to write up all savings every week!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Spreadsheet - piece of cake ! I have to do it that way as I'm a OAP and the old memory is getting a bit full and sometimes rejects new information !
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • homealone_2
    homealone_2 Posts: 2,004 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Spreadsheet - piece of cake ! I have to do it that way as I'm a OAP and the old memory is getting a bit full and sometimes rejects new information !

you're doing well, i dont have a clue how to even set up a spreadsheet
  • Lizalu
    Lizalu Posts: 437 Forumite
    Options
    You have all just inspired me to really get into this and start noting down my savings. Unfortunately I'm going to a festival today and they're always a rip-off so may not be the best time to start... But I will keep track in my filofax and tot it up every week. Gonna resister on more cash back sites now!
    odi et amo
  • jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Lizalu wrote: »
    You have all just inspired me to really get into this and start noting down my savings. Unfortunately I'm going to a festival today and they're always a rip-off so may not be the best time to start... But I will keep track in my filofax and tot it up every week. Gonna resister on more cash back sites now!

It's also really helpful to keep a 'spending diary' as well as a record of the savings you make. Having to write down everything that you spend acts as a bit of a deterrent for those impulse buys :o and also helps you to see where your money disappears to! ;)
  • Shawz
    Shawz Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    Options
    Looking to raise some money ;)
  • dipsy
    dipsy Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    Options
    If anybody wants one I can send you a spread sheet... very simple.. have it for what I spend, what I get from ebay,mystery shopping etc.. I earnt an extra couple k last year from selling junk around the house...
    2007 £1749
    2008 £291.99
    2009 JanMasscara £7.00 Feb megcabot books x 2 £20 XFactor tkts x 2 £58.00 (couldn't go though as they only phoned on day :-( ) foundation £7.99
    total so far for 09 £92.99
  • ooii79
    ooii79 Posts: 4 Newbie
    Options
    This site is amazing. http://www.moneytrackin.com/home/ . The site is easy to use and with all the extra features, it actually makes it fun to see where my money goes.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,103 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ooii79 wrote: »
    This site is amazing. http://www.moneytrackin.com/home/ . The site is easy to use and with all the extra features, it actually makes it fun to see where my money goes.

Its a beta version, theres no way i would trust my accounts/projects with a beta version of anything.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure