We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Real-life MMD: Should I stop using my ex-housemate's Netflix account?

Options

Comments

• Fluff15
    Fluff15 Posts: 1,440 Forumite
    Options
    It doesn't cost him any more if you're using it - he can easily see if you have been and if it bothers him so much he'll deactivate it remotely from your device so you can no longer watch things on his account. I'd carry on using it, but if you're really bothered log out yourself and sign up for a free trial.
  • tain
    tain Posts: 711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't really think of an instance where someone wouldn't use the account.

Are there any people who feel so morally conscious that they wouldn't want to use someone else's Netflix account because it may breach the Netflix T&C?
  • TypeR
    TypeR Posts: 117 Forumite
    Options
    I am a netflix subscriber.

Basically the account holder pays £6 a month and thats it - there are no extras and you can't run up a bill in anyway.

If he's failed to log his account out thats his look out - but no 'damage' can be done by using his account, there are no further charges and if he cancels his subscription or changes the password then it's game over - good whilst it lasted.

Nothing really to see here, in my opinion.
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    The way we generally assess (non-religious) morality is to gauge its effect on others. Are you actually hurting/depriving someone, with or without their knowledge ?
    It seems to be the case here that although you are enjoying a benefit, it is not actually at the expense (monetary or otherwise) of anyone else. They do not incur extra fees, they can see what you are doing, and they have the option to terminate your access any time.
    Perhaps he has decided to let you enjoy the films for a while as a thank-you for the X-box facility !
  • Showem
    Showem Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure why using your Xbox to watch films was so annoying to you. Did you want to use the console at the same time? Or was it just that your housemate used it and it was yours. (Big toddler pout) If it's the first, you should have spoken up. If it's the second, it's time to grow up. It didn't cost you anything for him to use it.

As others have said, it doesn't cost your ex-housemate anything for you to use it, but simply spite and revenge are pretty poor reasons to use it.
  • kevanf1
    kevanf1 Posts: 299 Forumite
    Options
    I think you should stop right away! What you are doing is committing fraud. You know it is wrong yet you carry on doing it. Yes, your ex-flatmate was wrong to use your equipment without your permission but that has now stopped.

Ultimately it could be that you end up in court :(
    Kevan - a disabled old so and so who, despite being in pain 24/7 still manages to smile as much as possible :)
  • Valor
    Valor Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    It may be "victimless" but it's still fraud / theft as far as I can see. I'm surprised that so many don't have a problem with casual crime.
    Full Disclosure: I'm an Analyst that has previously worked in the B2C Financial Sector (A&L, Santander), I currently work in the B2B Energy Sector (Centrica).

All views expressed are mine alone, and do not represent the opinions or polocies of any company I work for (or have worked for in the past).
  • Jennifer_Jane
    Jennifer_Jane Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    The right thing to do is to e-mail him and let him know his subscription is still going on. Until he then cancels, I would use it providing there's no cost to him.
  • Talent
    Talent Posts: 244 Forumite
    Options
    Just keep watching.... don't worry! It's not actually costing him anything is it? Perhaps these 'holier than thou' spouting off on here about fraud and theft don't realise that!
  • fruitmachine
    Options
    There is no question here - it's fraud. The fraud is against Netflix, not your friend as you are accessing systems and watching films without paying. If it wasn't fraud, then there would be nothing to stop us all sharing our "unlimited" account with anyone and everyone.

Log off now.

I'm pretty cetain that accessing a computer system without proper authorisation (or even attempting to) is also an offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport