Double bed with mattress

Options
I'm looking to get a lodger in and I need to buy a double bed with mattress but I'm not sure how much to spend and where is the best place to find deals?

I've looked on ebay and Amazon but some of the reviews seem poor.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hintza
    Hintza Posts: 19,420 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ikea might be a good place to start.

I am assuming since it is for a lodger you don't want to spend a lot. The high street sheds are quite expensive for what you get.
  • Pinkypants
    Pinkypants Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Of course the reviews of the cheap beds will be poor, as the beds themsleves will be of poor quality. Half decent product normally means, half decent price.

Poor lodger, you're going to wreck the bed I give you, therefore you can sleep on a pile of springs. Have a good nights sleep. :(

But here have a look at this.

This is cracking value for money...http://bedsdirectwarehouse.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1139
    Helping the country to sleep better....ZZZzzzzzzz
  • jee
    jee Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Tesco do some inexpensive and fairly nice beds.
  • Barney30
    Barney30 Posts: 49 Forumite
    Options
    Just got a new mattress from Tescos. Was surprised at the choice.
  • rugkutta
    Options
    Why would you want to buy a bed from Tesco? They started out life as greengrocers, they know nothing about beds. Ring up the customer services, or mail them, and ask how many support legs does the frame have? or is it easy to put together? or is it a bright shade or a dark shade of red, guarantee you on hold for hours for an answer! Buy beds from a bed shop..Simples!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,527 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    We always support local traders for things like cheap beds, carpets etc.

£200 or so will get a decent divan and mattress.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Pinkypants wrote: »
    Of course the reviews of the cheap beds will be poor, as the beds themsleves will be of poor quality. Half decent product normally means, half decent price.

Not necessarily. These days you can get a solid pine frame for ~£100, and a mattress for ~£100. I bought a pine double bed frame from BedStar, and a foam mattress from the same people. The frame is not as nice as the solid oak one in the main room which cost 5 times as much, but it is quite respectable, solid wood, decent finish, attractive, astonishing really.

As for mattresses, I suspect it depends on what you want. I like firm ones, and a basic foam mattress is fine for me.

ReviewCentre will give you user reviews, which is why I went for BedStar, they seemed to be decent.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport