PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Naming of a house

Options

Comments

• Ivana_Tinkle
    Options
    scaredlady wrote: »
    Oh dear me. I live on a 2 mile long road, in the country, no numbers at all, just house names (that is how it has always been) and to add to it no street lights.
    Was loads of fun when we started grocery shopping on line, and the delivery was in the dark.

Yup same here, except in our case the road is about 4 miles long and the road itself doesn't have a name! Oh, and there's not much in the way of mobile reception. I get to meet a lot of very angry delivery drivers!
  • Sally22_2
    Sally22_2 Posts: 677 Forumite
    Options
    My partners parents had this problem but they had a house name only, never used to come up on any databases, you just write to your local council and they get it updated onto the database, it took a couple of weeks to start showing up but now they have no problems.
    Slimming World Member - Started 05/02/15

• phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yup same here, except in our case the road is about 4 miles long and the road itself doesn't have a name! Oh, and there's not much in the way of mobile reception. I get to meet a lot of very angry delivery drivers!

Us too, we have just a house name and the name of the village (no road name), although we do have street lighting as the village straddles a fairly main road. Funnily enough we've not had too much of an issue with deliveries in the 22 months since we purchased the house - and we've had a fair few 'cos of all the building work we've been doing - which is surprising as our house name sign is in desperate need of replacing :o Historically the house has never had a number, although there are a few newer houses at the end of the village that do.

A few years back we added a name to a house that was known by a number only - this was in a city - after five years of ownership we did eventually manage to succeed in getting most mail addressed to xxxxx, x xxxxx road and subsequent owners have kept the name.

We are hoping to change the name of this current house and understand council agreement will be based upon whether there are similarly named properties as our chosen name already in the area..........
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Options
    We are finding it hard to get drivers to find our our house. It's jus xxxxx cottage. No number same as all the other old houses in the old part of the village. I can understand the difficulty as they would have to drive up and down the road looking at all the name plates. Although we are also one of a few here listed on google maps too. Albeit in a slightly wrong place.
  • Strapped
    Strapped Posts: 8,158 Forumite
    Options
    We have a similar problem - [house name], [village name]. Fortunately we have most of the delivery drivers trained by now :D I also keep a map of the village by the front door as we are one of the few places where you can pull off the main (don't get excited, it's still single track) village road, so we always get any new, lost ones knocking on the door.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    We have the same number as a barn conversion 100m away, so the same address and post code, but we also have a name. I don't know how this happened. It doesn't matter, as all the posties know who we are.

In the country, post codes can be rubbish. Ours covers properties over 250m apart as the crow flies, but actually much further if you don't happen to be a crow or own an amphibious vehicle.

We frequently watch newbie delivery drivers getting into a tizzy; it's a sick sort of entertainment. :o
  • ILW
    ILW Posts: 18,333 Forumite
    Options
    scaredlady wrote: »
    Oh dear me. I live on a 2 mile long road, in the country, no numbers at all, just house names (that is how it has always been) and to add to it no street lights.
    Was loads of fun when we started grocery shopping on line, and the delivery was in the dark.
    I would worry if you ever need and emergency ambulance.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 March 2013 at 5:18PM
    Options
    We bought a property with a name and no number and just changed the name when we moved in, we inform all the utilities and the local post sorting office and sent change of address letters to our family and personal contacts with the new name and never had any problems.
  • arbrighton
    arbrighton Posts: 2,011 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We have a house with a number and road name, but the house is at the junction with another road and the entrance appears to be on the other road, which does cause confusion with delivery drivers.
    It does seem to have a name as well, which is descriptive (it names the bridge which the house used to go with), but royal mail manage 'number and road name' and that's what finds the house on the postcode finder, and is what the council calls it.
    Unfortunately sat navs can't find our house, which is why YODEL etc get a bit stuck.
    We sometimes put the house name in as well to try and help deliveries but could otherwise take it or leave it.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We live in a long road too with no house numbers. There are only about 6 houses in a two mile stretch (dead end). The road that runs up to our road from the village also has a house with the same name (different road name and different postcode and different surname) but we still get their post sometimes. Although it's a different postcode quite often the post we gat has our postcode on it. lol Another confusing thing is that years ago the other road used to have the same name as ours.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure