PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Searches came back with flood risk, need advice

Options

Comments

• Tancred
    Tancred Posts: 1,424 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Having figured out how to use the environment agency flood risk map correctly now, it shows low risk when I click the area on the map.
    I suppose this is not as bad as I first feared!

Shows that you should never panic and jump to conclusions. Technically the whole of the UK is a 'flood risk'!
  • shirlls
    shirlls Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    I have a brook at the bottom of my garden, so about 40 feet from the house. Heavy rain can cause it to rise by about 3 feet and turn into a raging torrent, which is happening more frequently.

Whenever I renew my house insurance I always phone to check that they're ok with the proximity of the water and I usually get the reply that I'm not on a flood plain and that's all they're bothered about. The flood plain is about a mile down the road, where the houses are further from the river but maybe they have a problem with insurance.

I'd also suggest speaking to the neighbours, they will know if the property has flooded
  • theymademedoit
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.
    I have just had a call from the environment agency who said that the house is in zone 2 but closer to the lower risk zone.
    He said there is a 1/1000 chance of flooding but only in extreme weather circumstances.
    Apparently flood defences have already been put in place where the brook is closest to the houses.
    This made me feel better and he is getting something out to me in writing in the form of a report that you can pass to the insurers to show the low risk.
    If anyone needs this info in the future here are the contact details.
    [FONT=&quot]External Relations
    Planning and Corporate Services
    Environment Agency
    South West Region, Wessex Area
    Rivers House
    East Quay
    BRIDGWATER
    TA6 4YS

Tel: 03708 506506[/FONT]
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Thrugelmir's comment has really struck home here, as I now live on a ridge with no possibility of the house flooding.
    (

I used to live north of Newbury in the downs. Lots of small scale development was going on. However one paddock was left totally bare. Was called the Great Pond. Even though never had any visible water.

Can't remember the year precisely but we had torrential rain for weeks. And you've guessed it. The Great Pond appeared again for the first time since 1943. So over 50 years later. Remained for 4 months. Before disappearing again.
  • theymademedoit
    Options
    Just had an online quote with one of those chat windows from LV
    When I asked about flooding etc, he said -

'We just ask if the actual property itself has been flooded (to the best of your knowledge) and is under an actual flood warning currently - if the answer to this is 'no' this is fine with us, no problem'.

The quote was way higher than the likes of More Than and Nationwide, however its rated as 5* cover.
    Any suggestions on who to go with for cover or are they all the same?
  • shirlls
    shirlls Posts: 95 Forumite
    Options
    Just had an online quote with one of those chat windows from LV
    When I asked about flooding etc, he said -

'We just ask if the actual property itself has been flooded (to the best of your knowledge) and is under an actual flood warning currently - if the answer to this is 'no' this is fine with us, no problem'.

The quote was way higher than the likes of More Than and Nationwide, however its rated as 5* cover.
    Any suggestions on who to go with for cover or are they all the same?

My house insurance is due for renewal early April so I've been looking for quotes. The cheapest I've had is from Legal & General with £60.60 cash back from Topcashback. As I said before, I will phone them beforehand to check they're ok about the brook.
  • theymademedoit
    Options
    Hi,
    Just had NFU flag it as a high risk and she has to speak to the underwriters.
    I will have to make a decision on this ASAP as we need to exchange soon.
  • abankerbutnotafatcat
    Options
    I think the Environment Agency has quite a suitable address!!
  • theymademedoit
    Options
    Ha yeah

Feeling a bit more confident, just had a quote from Nationwide and they confirmed 100% I would be covered, for around £392 a year.

More Th>n also said yes too for £144 a year with more cover £75k worth of contents.

Any experiences with More Th>n?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi,
    Just had NFU flag it as a high risk and she has to speak to the underwriters.
    I will have to make a decision on this ASAP as we need to exchange soon.

Odd. I have a house with land, which is a risk a lot of insurers won't touch at all, and I find the NFU pretty good.

I think with insurance there are niche markets and inexplicable differences/anomalies. Just hacked £75 off the van insurance, which was already pretty good by using Churchill, who wouldn't cover us at all a few years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure