Why is dealing with the OR so scary

Options
Thats it, i am done, Blind-as-a-Bat has left the forum, for good this time, there is no way I can recover this account, as the password was random, and not recorded, and the email used no longer exits, nor can be recovered to recover the account, goodbye all …………. :(

Comments

• uther_2
    uther_2 Posts: 174 Forumite
    Options
    I think the problem is letting a complete stranger go through your financial life for the last X amount of years,questioning various things,asking about certain transactions from years ago (I can't remember what happened last week,let alone 3 years ago) and deciding what assets they can take from you,is what's scary about it.Also there seems to be a great deal of inconsistency about the whole thing.I.E. some OR's will allow holidays,some won't.Some will allow £2000 cars,some will take £500 cars.The whole system is a mess and when you go Br you are putting yourself in their hands to a large extent.
  • allofadither
    allofadither Posts: 543 Forumite
    Options
    How are you feeling this morning Blind? Hung over? :rotfl: Interesting debate you have started here.

It's like uther says, having somebody trawl thru your finances questioning everything is a bit daunting. It must be difficult for the OR's to be totally objective, they have prejudices too. I think that when you're in debt and under pressure to make ends meet you don't make financial decisions based on whether it's right or wrong, you do it to survive. In the cold light of day it's easy for someone else to suggest your actions were reckless. I know there are people who go BR and have behaved badly so I guess the OR has to sort the wheat from the chaff. Our job as the debtor is to show and explain that we haven't done anything fraudulent, illegal, or something that would constitute a BRO/BRU. And if we co-operate with the OR that's supposed to earn us brownie points too. Perhaps, in the past before we lived in a credit crazy society, BR was probably used by failing businesses rather than average joe so I guess the rules and regulations must have to be adapted to take account of this new trend. But what I've learned from this experience so far, and this forum, is that most of these rules and regulations are open to interpretation.

And as for my car...what can I say, it's still my car at the mo, being that it is sat in my driveway wearing it's same (private?) registration plate :rotfl: but I haven't heard anything from the OR, so me and car are still waiting, waiting, waiting.

Dither
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    But what I've learned from this experience so far, and this forum, is that most of these rules and regulations are open to interpretation.

Yes. and this quote from the OR's Technical Guide say's it all :rotfl:
    The “Technical Manual” is intended to be a guide to best practice to be followed by official receivers except when circumstances, including the circumstances of an individual insolvency case, dictate or merit otherwise.

In other words, they will ignore it if they feel like it.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • allofadither
    Options
    Fermi, you are so quick at digging out all ths info, don'yt know how you do it.

As a matter of interest, do you think the amount of debt makes any difference to how the OR treats a case?
  • fermi
    Options
    Fermi, you are so quick at digging out all ths info, don'yt know how you do it.

Lots of bookmarks in Firefox, and 'Google Suggest' as a homepage :)
    As a matter of interest, do you think the amount of debt makes any difference to how the OR treats a case?

No idea. Shall I try Googling it? ;)
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• allofadither
    Options
    What's Google Suggest? and how do I get it?
  • fermi
    Options
    What's Google Suggest? and how do I get it?

Go to:

http://www.google.co.uk/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

logo_google_suggest.gif

and start typing what you are looking for. It makes things so much easier.

• allofadither
    Options
    I like that fermi :j Wonder if it can suggest how I can get my boiler repaired for free :rotfl: No hot water or heating at the mo :o
  • allofadither
    Options
    Yup, you're right Blind, I do live rural etc etc etc, and of course I feel justified in asking to keep my car but according to the OR guidelines it's all down to what is deemed 'practical' and what is deemed 'convenient.' I think it would be totally impractical to be without my car but then the OR might just consider it an inconvenience.

I do have the feeling that when you're dealing with them you have to push it a bit...and I'm not very pushy. I wish there was someone like a solicitor who you could ask to represent you, and then they would be able to 'speak' the speak and make all the right noises on your behalf.
  • Bakeybadoo
    Bakeybadoo Posts: 810 Forumite
    Options
    I guess I've been very lucky as our affairs were very straight forward.

We didn't see a judge, we saw the OR straight after, had our full interview at that appointment - same day, and then had one lot of forms to fill out.

OH has had no contact since the 21st April, he went BR on the 20th. All his OR asked was the date debt was incurred, what it was spent on and why he went BR. Took a copy of wage slips, took some bank statements and that's it.

My interview today was even less. I did all the forms there and then, interview was about 20 minutes. No copies of anything taken. Same questions. Far more relaxed than my OH's but I think that's just the type of person I saw rather than a difference in our affairs or the IS.

Neither of us has had to explain our SoA, neither has been questioned, called or summoned back in. Yes, it's early days for me but my affairs were 100% more straight forward than my OH's so I expect the same will happen to me.

We've had no mention of an IPA. The OH was told he'll probably get a Nil tax code but that's it. We've had nothing said since.

Overal, I've got to be honest, and not in a smug way - I appreciate everyones experience is different, but it was easy peasy. Not the gravity of what I was about to do but the build up, to what the actuality was.
    :: BCSC #71 but now discharged! ::
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport