PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

My First House!

Options
:j Hi all MS! Just about to move into my first house! Was supposed to be collecting the Keys of the seller (Private Sale) at 9, but she is being silly and wont give me the keys to 11.30! I know there is nothing I can do, so I am not bothered about that.

However, I have a quest for all you MSE's about there, give me the best advice you can on what to do once I get in! In relation to bills, stuff to do, small DIY, anything!

PLEASE LET ME HEAR YOUR WORDS OF KNOWLEDGE!

many thanks

Comments

• Milky_Mocha
    Milky_Mocha Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations, Jamiev! You should be proud of yourself, stepping on the steep UK property ladder. I'm actually really excited for you even though I don't know you!

Tips I think would depend on the condition of the house. Does it "need lots of work"? Roughly which area is it in? Hope you got a good mortgage rate and all that.
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
  • Steel_2
    Steel_2 Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm about to move into my new house next Friday and my partner and I have a plan in place already for what to do when we get in.

The house is in such a state it needs overhauling badly but we are sitting firmly on our hands for six weeks until we know what the bills will be every month. We've no doubt moving will be expensive, even though we intend to do it ourselves with the help of friends. We've taken into account things like packing tape and boxes etc, hiring vans,feeding and watering the moving crew, take-aways until we can a) find the cooker underneath everything and b) actually get it to work, emergency repair money in case things don't work when we get there, changing the locks and, of course, the annoying money-swallowing routine of paying up our final utilities bills.

We've even just had to fork out at the vets for a special sedative spray for our cat who is the world's worst car traveller. A three minute drive round the corner for a check up had her lying panting in a pool of vomit and various excreta. :eek:

So all in all, I've worked out that our money for next month is already allocated so no paint, plaster or flooring will be purchased until the end of May. Until then, we're on scrubbing detail!

Good luck with your move!!! :D
    "carpe that diem"
  • divadee
    divadee Posts: 10,609 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck jamiev and steel with your new homes, enjoy them and have a great time.
  • terrierlady
    terrierlady Posts: 1,742 Forumite
    Options
    The key collection issue is always a big one, money needs to come up the chain and everyone cant move in by 9,30 so you were right not to get upset, as in new homes we sometimes have buyers waiting outside their home till completion takes place.
    Enjoy your new home and all the fun goes the decoration etc.
    my bark is worse than my bite!!!!!!!!
  • lady_noluck
    Options
    First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!:T

Now, the next thing to do is, when you walk through your new front door locate your kettle, milk, cups and sugar and have a nice cuppa. Revel in the fact you're now on the property ladder.

Next, take meter readings for your gas and electricity. I learned the hard way when I forgot and had to pay some of the previous owners bill.
    Check the loo and taps work. Sounds silly but you don't wanna get caught short at 2 in the morning.
    If you have a telephone line, check it's working or make a note to contact line rental provider.
    Plug your fridge/freezer in as it needs to settle for a few hours after the move.
    Then get the rest of your stuff in and have fun!:dance: :party:
    Don't worry about getting the keys later than planned. Leaving a house always seems to take longer than you anticipate. I've done it a few times now and have never managed it on time yet.

Oh and don't forget to say hello to your new neighbours. You never know when you might need them.
    Good Luck! :wave:
    My mind not only wanders .......... sometimes it leaves completely
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family