IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.
NOW OPEN: the MSE Forum 'Ask An Expert' event. This time we'd like your questions on TRAVEL & HOLIDAY DEALS. Post by Wed and deals expert MSE Oli will answer as many as he can.

POPLA Decisions

edited 28 October 2016 at 9:29AM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
4.4K replies 933.9K views

Replies

• ComputersaysnoComputersaysno Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One hr's assessor costs is circa £60.

Seems a more realistic cost than £147....but is it low enough to stop the BPA going bust??

The BPA will probs just put up their membership fees...and the PPCs will have to pay if they still want to be AOS and pursue non-payers via the courts.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    39.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    One hr's assessor costs is circa £60.

Seems a more realistic cost than £147....but is it low enough to stop the BPA going bust??

The BPA will probs just put up their membership fees...and the PPCs will have to pay if they still want to be AOS and pursue non-payers via the courts.

Or jump ship and join the IPC :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • In a recent meeting they voted down the proposal to increase membership fees, and these will have now mostly been paid for oct 2013 to sep 2014. If there are too many appeals between now and then they may have to get membership approval for an emergency increase.

The other option would be for them to bite the bullet and award sanction points to those members flouting the CoP to stop them allowing POPLA appeals which always lose.

Hmm...caught between a rock and a hard place!
    Hi, we’ve approved your signature. It's awesome. Please email the forum team if you want more praise - MSE ForumTeam
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    39.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    The other option would be for them to bite the bullet and award sanction points to those members flouting the CoP to stop them allowing POPLA appeals which always lose.

This would put PE immediately out of business - pleasant surprise for Capita. £54mil down the flusher :)
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • PiemasterPiemaster Forumite
    36 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Guys, this discussion is really interesting (and I mean that genuinely) but do you think it might be better to start a new thread for meta-discussion of POPLA? This thread is supposed to be for reporting POPLA results.
  • Can someone please help me,I parked on a college car park and paid for a ticket 50p,didn't see that it was staff park only and got hit with a £90 fine complained to tps got regected what do I do now ?
  • cloggy_b wrote: »
    Can someone please help me,I parked on a college car park and paid for a ticket 50p,didn't see that it was staff park only and got hit with a £90 fine complained to tps got regected what do I do now ?

Cloggy b

Please see post 1, then start a new thread.
    Je suis Charlie
  • trisontanatrisontana Forumite
    9.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not it's UKCPS' turn:-

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=84894&hl=

<xxx> (Appellant)
    -v-
    UKCPS Limited (Operator)

The Operator issued parking charge notice number <xxx> arising out of the presence of <xxx> car park, on <xxx> 2013, of a vehicle with registration mark <xxx>.
    The Appellant appealed against liability for the parking charge.
    The Assessor has considered the evidence of both parties and has determined that the appeal be allowed.
    The Assessor's reasons are as set out.
    The Operator should now cancel the parking charge notice forthwith.

Reasons for the Assessor's Determination:

The Operator issued parking charge notice number <xxx> arising out of the presence of <xxx> car park, on <xxx> 2013, of a vehicle with registration mark <xxx> for parking without a valid permit or authority.
    It is the Operator's case that the Appellant's vehicle was parked without a valid permit or authority and this was a breach of the terms and conditions of
    parking as set out on signage of the site.
    The Appellant has made a number of submissions which I do not intend to deal with and will only elaborate on the reason why I am allowing this appeal, namely that the Operator does not have the authority from the landowner to issue parking charge notices.
    The Appellant has asked to see proof that the Operator has the authority to issue parking charges. The Operator has failed to provide a copy of the contract between themselves and the landowner to show that they have the authority to issue parking charge notices and therefore I have not evidence before me to refute the Appellant's submission. The onus is on the Operator to prove their case against the Appellant and on this occasion they have not done so.
    Accordingly, this appeal must be allowed.
    Nozir Uddin
    Assessor
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    Piemaster wrote: »
    Guys, this discussion is really interesting (and I mean that genuinely) but do you think it might be better to start a new thread for meta-discussion of POPLA? This thread is supposed to be for reporting POPLA results.

Let me save a bit of time....of the next 50 'successes' at POPLA, about 47 will be on GPEOL.

This discussion is way more interesting than 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , rejected on mitigating circumstances, 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , no contract, 'another on GPEOL' ,'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' , 'another on GPEOL' ,'another on GPEOL'
    1.2K Posts
    Forumite
    trisontana wrote: »
    The Appellant has made a number of submissions which I do not intend to deal with and will only elaborate on the reason why I am allowing this appeal,

This boy is obviously keen on saving his job. 2 minutes, job done.