local anaesthetic?

Options
Hi there
Hopefully this is allowed on this board, if not them I'm sorry for breaking the rules. :o

I've just had the contraceptive implant put in, with local anesthetic...does anyone have any idea how long (approximately) it takes to wear off?
I realise it will be different for everyone, but if any has a vague idea then I'd be very grateful.

Had a look on NHSDirect and I couldn't find anything about it there

Thanks in advance
Hol
One thing...that sets pulses racing...that gets hearts pounding...for which there is no substitute...only YOU can provide...blood.

Only 5% of the eligible population give blood: do something amazing today, save a life, give blood

Comments

• Penny_Watcher
    Penny_Watcher Posts: 3,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a local anaesthetic at blood donors. Stings a bit when it goes in and then I don't feel anything after that. It must last at least 30 minutes because I'm usually in the car and on my way home before I become 'aware' of the inside my arm.

Hope this helps. :)

Edited to add::doh: Just noticed your sig. Talk about teaching your Grandma to suck eggs :rotfl: Silly me.

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • holstar
    holstar Posts: 826 Forumite
    Options
    I don't get one at blood donating, jealous of you now PW!

I had it done about 3 hours ago, an its still feeling really weird...so just wondering if its supposed to take 3 hours to wear off or not :confused:
    One thing...that sets pulses racing...that gets hearts pounding...for which there is no substitute...only YOU can provide...blood.

Only 5% of the eligible population give blood: do something amazing today, save a life, give blood
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I can't speak for local anaesthetic in the arm, but I know how long it takes for it to wear off after the dentist ... most of the day! :rotfl:
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Moomum
    Moomum Posts: 958 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on the local anaesthetic they used, they all have a different duration time and clearance is different for everybody! Id say it shouldnt really last longer than 6 hours but im not an anaetheleogist! See I cant even spell it! haha
  • holstar
    Options
    I'm beginning to get feeling back now, but its so weird...it doesn't feel 100% my arm lol

thanks for the replies, much appreciated :T

• Penny_Watcher
    Options
    holstar wrote: »
    I don't get one at blood donating, jealous of you now PW!

Flippin' heck holstar, you're brave!!!! :eek:

*They're not coming near me with their HUGE needle without numbing my arm first*

I am officially a big wuss :o If they don't give you the option of a local anaesthetic then you should be able to ask for one. I was really glad I had one last time as they had to broddle about a bit until they hit the vein. :rolleyes:

Oi you lot - please :heart:GIVE BLOOD :heart: - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 67 pints so far.
  • holstar
    Options
    hehe yep, thats me, well brave :D

I'm trying to think now, maybe they do offer one, but I always say no, on the basis I've had so many needles taking blood from me, another one isn't gonna hurt.

For anyone even remotely interested (all none of you then :p) the anaesthetic has now worn off, and its kinda painful! lifting a pint-glass with that arm (water, not alcohol!) hurts, but I can still type, so its aaaaaalll ok :D

Thanks again for the advice everyone :T

• pollocmc
    pollocmc Posts: 131 Forumite
    Options
    When I give blood for a either a blood test or as a donor, I always tell them that they will (from experience) have little chance of getting any out my arm. "Nonsense we do this everyday" is the usual reply. Four attempts later without anesthetic and calling in Nurse X who is "brilliant and never fails" I have to sit with ice packs on my arms to keep the swelling down, lol. Last time they somehow mixed up the needles and whatever attaches to them so they didn't fit together right cue blood squirting everywhere. They also managed to go through the back of the vein on the back of my hand and I wathced in admiration as the back of my hand filled up with blood - fortunately I hadn't taken them up on the offer of resting my hand on my jacket to make it comfy and had instead asked for a rolled up blanket instead.

Needless to say I had to stop wearing t-shirts for about a week to stop getting the looks like I was a junkie!

(Oh and the got their pint of blood eventually - and yes I still go back)
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pollocmc wrote: »
    Needless to say I had to stop wearing t-shirts for about a week to stop getting the looks like I was a junkie!
    :rotfl: After my brain surgery, the biggest scars and bruises were on my arms, from all the drips I'd had in my arms ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • Penny_Watcher
    Options
    pollocmc wrote: »

(Oh and the got their pint of blood eventually - and yes I still go back)

:T You star! :T :D

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure