We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Sending a 3yo to nursery with chicken pox

Options
On tuesday morning my lg got up with spots all down the one side of her back, the same day a HV (not my normal one who's on holiday) came to weigh my 6 week old. I showed her the spots and she said they were chicken pox (the third time she's had them). She went on to tell me that I shouldn't keep her home from nursery as "most children need to get it before they are too old"

I haven't sent her but am I the only one who has a problem knowingly infecting other children?
: DD1 23/11/09
DD2 16/12/10
DS1 19/01/13
DS2 05/03/14

Comments

• chunkychocky
    chunkychocky Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Most nurseries wouldn't accept her until all her spots are scabbed over. Any that do should be ashamed of themselves.
  • Gillyx
    Gillyx Posts: 6,847 Forumite
    Options
    Completely unprofessional for a health visitor to advise that imo.

It's not just the children at the nursery that have to be thought of, there will be workers or parents there too who could have underlying health issues/pregnancy which can make chicken pox very serious indeed.

You have done the right thing by keeping her off, and like the PP said, any decent nursery wouldn't accept them anyway.
    The frontier is never somewhere else. And no stockades can keep the midnight out.
  • kat360
    kat360 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm glad it's not just me, like I said she wasn't my normal one. She told me I was feeding my 6 week old too much when I was told by the doctor at the hospital to feed him as much as he would take.( He was premature,just about 37 weeks).

Gillyx I hadn't thought of that, one of the workers at the nursery is pregnant, I'm glad I phoned them and told them about it anyway.
    : DD1 23/11/09
    DD2 16/12/10
    DS1 19/01/13
    DS2 05/03/14
  • mysk_girl
    mysk_girl Posts: 803 Forumite
    Options
    As the chair of a preschool, we wouldn't accept a child until the spots are scabbed. How unprofessional of her to suggest that you send her, she has no idea who could be immune compromised and vulnerable.

And if I choose to deliberately infect my children with chickenpox, that's my decision not the decision of a parent to send an infectious child to nursery.
  • Limey
    Limey Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    Have you spoken to the doc about it? It's unusual for someone to have chicken pox 3 times. The symptoms sound a bit more like shingles which is the 'adult' version of chicken pox.

And yeah very silly advice from the HV. It is true that it's best for kids to get it young so as to develop an immunity. Getting it when you're older can result in worse effects (fertility problems).
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Report the health visitor, saying exactly what they had told you to do.
    The World would be a far better place if people like that were not around to give "advice".
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    That's crazy! I'd be livid if a parent knowingly sent a child to school when they were infectious. Terrible advice from your HV.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,835 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It used to be the norm to be quite honest in the past.

Doctors used to tell you to do this because children used to get over the diseases quicker than they did when they grew older.
    Especially Mumps.....
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Albeit I have heard of Chicken Pox Parties, no nursery would or should partake in them. Your Health Visitor should know this is routine.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • gunsandbanjos
    gunsandbanjos Posts: 12,246 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    McKneff wrote: »
    It used to be the norm to be quite honest in the past.

Doctors used to tell you to do this because children used to get over the diseases quicker than they did when they grew older.
    Especially Mumps.....

That's true, but it is the choice of the parents to take their child and willingly infect them at these parties. Not having an infected child forced upon them at nursery.
    The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
    Bertrand Russell
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family