We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Firefox Not Responding?
joe2cool
Posts: 4,121 Forumite
in Techie Stuff
Hi occasionally on my desk top with 'Vista', when trying to open sites I will just get a msg saying Firefox not responding. Sometimes it can take a while for the site to actually open or not at all. This doesn't happen on the laptop with Win 7? or when using any other browser?
On doing a bit of searching its been mentioned it could be a memory issue? Always used Firefox, so really wouldn't want a change. Using latest version 19.0 but has happened on past versions recently. I've tried clearing history regularly, unsure if this might help?
Just wondered if anyone else experienced this with 'Firefox'?
Appreciate any help
Thx
On doing a bit of searching its been mentioned it could be a memory issue? Always used Firefox, so really wouldn't want a change. Using latest version 19.0 but has happened on past versions recently. I've tried clearing history regularly, unsure if this might help?
Just wondered if anyone else experienced this with 'Firefox'?
Appreciate any help
Thx
joe2cool
0
Comments
-
It may be one of the add-ons. Run it in safe mode and see how it performs. If it runs ok, then it's a case of enabling/disabling the add-ons till you find the one causing the problem.
http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode0 -
I have Palemoon which runs most Firefox add ons, as well as Firefox, though with different add ons running
http://www.palemoon.org/info.shtml
I have the add ons which don't usually cause a problem installed on both, having both can help determine if it is the browser or an add on etc.0 -
The obvious solution, which will have many other benefits, is to upgrade your desktop from Vista to Win 7 or 8.0
-
If I'd known about Palemoon at the time I'd probably have tried that rather than switch to Chrome because my FireFox was becoming pretty sluggish. I really don't want to swap browser again though.0
-
Thx guys really appreciate all your help..................tend to use chrome more & more now, after using Firefox for yrsjoe2cool0
-
And upgrade your RAM to at least 2GB, if you have less.No free lunch, and no free laptop
0 -
Hi no problem with RAM Thxjoe2cool0
-
try Options, Options, Advanced, Network, Cached Web Content - clear it.
Options, Options, Advanced, Network, Offline User Web.... - clear it.
Shutdown and restart the browser.0 -
Cheers..........................joe2cool0
-
I do like FF ad-ons and wont leave because of them, but if you want speed then this for me was awesome, http://www.maxthon.com/0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards