PPI claim Mint Credit Card

Options
I recently started a PPI claim with Mint for a credit card I applied for in early 2006. Using the Money Saving Expert template I applied for a copy of the original application form & also requested any details relating to how much I'd paid in PPI. I enclosed cheques for £1 & £10 respectively. I've now received the agreement & it shows I didn't opt or sign for PPI. I was also sent a copy of my last statement,but no information on what I'd paid in PPI over the past 7 years. I'm guessing that the fact that I hadn't signed up for the insurance is a good thing? Does anyone know what happens next. I spoke to Mint & they were very evasive. I feel I should get my money back but I'm not sure what percentage that will be. Can anyone help please.

Comments

• -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you feel, it's what can be proven.
    Credit Card PPI is sold over the phone when you activate your card a lot fo the time, so what would your defence be if that turns out to be the case?
    Did you actually pay any PPI? It will show up in staements as a separate transaction every month there is a balance owing called 'payment protection' 'card cover' or something that smacks of insurance.
    Find out if you actually paid any first.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • henrydog
    henrydog Posts: 6 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Thanks for that. I have been paying PPI & certainly wouldn't have opted for it over the phone. I'll see what happens & update as & when. Thanks again.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Options
    henrydog wrote: »
    I've now received the agreement & it shows I didn't opt or sign for PPI. I was also sent a copy of my last statement,but no information on what I'd paid in PPI over the past 7 years.
    henrydog wrote: »
    I have been paying PPI

From what you say, it doesn't sound as if you signed for or paid any PPI.
    PPI was not just randomly added to accounts without the agreement or knowledge of the customer. It's only on some loans where the customer pays the insurance policy together with the loan repayment that the PPI is not immediately obvious each month.

Does it show on a separate line of your credit card statement each month? If not, then you didn't have it.

Incidentally, you do realise that if you already had evidence of having paid PPI, then sending the Bank a SAR letter was a total waste of time and money? You could have skipped straight to complaint...
  • henrydog
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I didn't sign up for it but have certainly been paying it. My partner has been paying this account and wasn't aware that I hadn't signed up for it. Its only recently that I'm now in a position to pay off the card that I saw a statement with the PPI payment being added. When I cancelled the PPI by phone whilst paying the account, the mint rep passed on my complaint. When I spoke to mint recently they informed me that a complaint hadn't been raised even though they had sent me a case number. They have confirmed PPI was being paid & have now raised a new complaint. I'll wait and see what Mint decide, I just wasn't sure of the process & how a calculation is made should the complaint be successful. Thanks for your help.
  • shiftypete
    Options
    I believe, in the case of MINT applications, that their online service may have pre-selected the PPI tick-box for customers who applied a number of years ago. I might be mistaken though! I've actually just started an enquiry with MINT for the same reason. I'm not too hopeful, however, as I think their defence will be that all the small print would have been there to read at the time of the application. It's the pre-selected thing that I''m pinning my hopes on!
  • cransyard
    Options
    i was with Mint as well, rang them last year and they took care of the details, I rang about 3 months later and told a letter was sent out with details, I didnt get the letter, rang again in Feb to make a fresh claim, but they wouldnt give me any details. I asked for a copy of the letter it came last week with an offer of around £1800 from last may, is it too late to claim on this ?

Strange as they did all the work and i didnt fill out any forms
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Options
    No, just tell them you're accepting it, that's if you are of course......
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • henrydog
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Update! The banks lost & I won!!! Even though I hadn't signed up for PPI I HAD been paying for it .... without my agreement. I was self employed when I applied for the credit card & was contacted by RBS last week who wanted to know if I could prove my self employment at that time. I told them I would be able to provide accounts etc. I have now received an offer of £3,480 for a premium paid of £1,563. Success I think!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure