Can l tax my new car without log book...

Options
Just bought a car and owner has lost the log book and sent for a new one ,l got a receipt off him for buying the car..
The tax runs out tomorrow , it has M.O.T and Insurance but l have to wait for him to get a new log book which he has paid for and can take a few weeks to receive..
Is there anyway l can get the car taxed tomorrow without the log book..

Comments

• TradePro
    Options
    I wouldn't have paid for the car in full and driven it away without a log book, hope you end up getting it okay.

Did the previous owner not have the SORN/reminder letter for the car?
    And that my son, is how to waft a towel!
  • Tigerprint
    Options
    I don't think there is any way around this. You need the reference number from the V5 to tax online so that is out of the question. I'm guessing the V5 is still in the other person's name until they receive the new.

Do you know the previous keeper/are they local? Once the new owner has the V5 make sure he gives you the green slip & you can take this with current MOT, insurance & payment to get tax from the Post Office, that is, before the previous keeper sends V5 with the change of keeper details off.

You could phone DVLA but not sure you'll get too far....
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was at the local DVLA office a while back and because it was busy a guy came down and asked what you need. If it was just a form he got them for you save waiting.
    A few people were trying to tax cars with no logbook or slip or tax cars in other peoples names. They were turned away.
    He did say to one guy dont buy a car without the logbook.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• stingray_316
    Options
    TradePro wrote: »
    I wouldn't have paid for the car in full and driven it away without a log book, hope you end up getting it okay.

Did the previous owner not have the SORN/reminder letter for the car?
    No sorn reminder, but he has assured me he has sent for another one.. How long has it took others on here to get a log book for a new car or a replacement one.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A replacement one takes longer because they have to write to the previous keeper to ask them if they have sold the car.

2 weeks to 6 weeks.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure