Would a change in government change your finances?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
11 replies 2.6K views
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Would a change in government change your finances? This isn't about party politics, it's about whether any party in power really changes things for your pocket, regardless of whether that change is good or bad. Which of these is closest to your view?

A. No difference. It's all the same just in different colours.
B. Limited impact. They only change things at the fringe.
C. Major impact. When laws and taxes change, so does my money.

Click reply to discuss or vote here

threadbanner.gif

Replies

• Very definitely a change of government affects what one has left in the pay packet, after the government has swiped away what they can get away with. And then they swipe away a whole lot more when we start to spend that bit that was left.

Most people thing they are all the same - they are all liars, that's for sure, but there are trends that make them a bit different as regards ones pay packet.

Labour - well just look over the last 10 years - they have continued to steal it away from us in their infamous "stealth taxes" well named, as Gordon is the master of smoke and mirrors. His last trick was to steal it away from that group of the potential voters that do not vote much, the young adults. They don't vote, so why not rip them off........... and they are out of pocket since that last Budget. Wouldn't be so bad it it all went to a better living, but they just waste the money on Domes and nothing-to-do-with-us wars works, and other schemes to tax us further speed cams and London's Car Tax scheme. Next is car sat-tax.

Liberals - well they at least tell you they want to raise taxes to spend it on great ventures they have in mind. Our local government (liberals) have liberally spent away huge amounts to widen roads and build a couple of brand new government buildings, all funded out of the raised council taxes.

Conservatives - well the name should suggest thrift. It also, from what I recall, implies encouragement to earn money by leaving that little bit more in the pay-packet. However, that's all too unpopular with the do-goodie, help the non-producers, hand out all the cash to those that will not work brigade. However, it does create some efficiency, and the truly hard-working types do get more money.
  • People's power is important. thanks to Martin bringing the attention of Bank Charges to a lot of us. The modern technology allows us to express ourselves a lot easier than 10 years ago. More of us speak up about our pockets, we will be heard.
  • teddycoteddyco Forumite
    397 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Albert Einstein once said:

"It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs."

Vote!
  • glads69glads69 Forumite
    8 Posts
    The more controlling the government the more we will be out of pocket - someone has to pay for all that controlling bureaucracy (see our hospitals, government departments, financial regulator etc)

Rule by unrelenting control, regulation and sanction will always be more expensive than the alternative. Gordon Brown is the ultimate control freak (look at how he made accountants etc responsible for telling him all their tax avoidance schemes). So his hand will remain in all our pockets for as long as we are foolish enough to keep him where he is.

The alternative is to recognise that incentive drives society and that makes a difference to your pocket. Start incentivising and stop controlling. Then the individual can choose whether to benefit from those incentives. Infinitely preferable and certainly more lucrative for the common man.

People are not fed up with Labour just because of the war in Iraq!
  • sluggy1967sluggy1967 Forumite
    190 Posts
    However, that's all too unpopular with the do-goodie, QUOTE]

Presumably by "do-goodie" you mean those extra doctors, nurses & teachers do you?
  • Hi,
    YES those do-goodie doctors that got a 25% payrise for 30% LESS work.

Not bad if you can get it HUH!!!
  • XRATXRAT Forumite
    232 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Remember the early days, when supporting the war was popular?? When the stories were about 'Our lads' going to war without proper kit?
    I heard a lot of M.P.s say, "I support 'our lads'."
    I was in a position at the time to interrupt, "Do you pay the tax due on everything you earn?" It was suprising how much of a conversation stopper that was! Or perhaps not.
  • I have to admit, that under a Conservative Goverment ive always been better off, and thats in the last 45 years!

Labour has always been a one for high taxes(Income Tax and Council Taxes). I think Blairs Labour Goverment is the first one not to raise Income Taxes, but hes more than done that by Stealth Taxes!

Conservative Goverments I always had more money in my pocket to spend! Low Income Tax, and lower Council Taxes. Under Ted Heaths Goverment we had a cost of Living rise!
  • mindi_007mindi_007 Forumite
    15 Posts
    The sheer fact that Gordon Brown can not do is sums is glaringly obvious. I would like to know where all this extra 'revenue' Labour have raised; all that extra money we're paying through extra taxes, no tax relief for married couples, all that extra stamp duty and inheritance tax oh and the money that used to pay for students to study relatively free of charge to degree level.

Instead you're better off not working, not trying to get a degree (and ending up in debt) not trying to buy a house (because the stamp duty and the double whammy of...if you end up in ill health selling it to pay for your care and then that massive amount of inheritance tax leaving your beneficiaries about 50p better off...) and working until your ready to drop because Labour have messed with pensions that much! Oh how cynical!! But I really can't wait for them to be voted out....PLEASE!! because this is just the financial side.... do we need to mention about the wars and the yes sir, yes sir, three bags full George Bush, prisons being a place for pensioners who protest and refuse to pay council tax but there is no more room for a more sinister criminal, or release people and they disappear!!!

When stamp duty and inheritence tax was introduced the idea was only the very rich had to pay, now with house prices going through the roof the government has 'generously' increased the threshold for both but the majority of people with a house will find that they will be penalised....it's not enough to tax you to the hilt while you're alive!! they even catch you out when you're dead!! lmao:rotfl:

As for nurses....about five years ago when I started my nurse training the government were screaming they were going to put more nurses and Dr's in training because there was a national shortage....now they're saying oh but the NHS is overspent! There have been three groups of third year student nurses on placement where I work and each six months there has been around 6 jobs available. Australia have snapped up some...but having worked hard through training and to have the door slammed in your face is wrong. Training places have now decreased because the training budget comes from the NHS so less nurses will be being trained until the government decide they need to back track. The government will be going round in a circle...we're short of nurses!! :eek: Lets go abroad to recruit at the cost of ££££? lets input more money for training. It's absolute madness!
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you have." Mark Twain
  • Poll Started 8th May 2007. Would a change in government change your finances?

This isn't about party politics, it's about whether any party in power really changes things for your pocket, regardless of whether that change is good or bad. Which of these is closest to your view?

A. No difference. It's all the same just in different colours. 37.8% - (1061 Votes)
    B. Limited impact. They only change things at the fringe. 34.0% - (955 Votes)
    C. Major impact. When laws and taxes change, so does my money. 28.2% - (792 Votes)

Total Votes: 2808

Thank you for voting :smiley:
    threadbanner.gif
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up