Nationwide credit card fruad!

Hello guys, please help. Recently I've applied for a nationwide credit card earlier this month, been accepted, they said wait 7 - 10 working days for everything to come.

It had been past the time limit now, I phone up to ask when should I get my card, 13 days after, only to been told 4k worth of credit limit has been used and have gone over my bloody limit!!!

My question is, how is that possible? it was address to me, the only person who could have taken it is the sorting people or the postman himself.

Also how could they have gone over my 4k limit? I thought once u have a credit card and if it comes to the limit, it won't allow to go over, it declines you!!!

I am so angry about this, NW said they are investigating, will they refund my credit card? I am scared they'll close down my credit card altogether!!!

Comments

• Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Difficult to say until they have done their investigation. It should be fairly easy for them to determine that someone else has spent the money.

In terms of the limit - it is possible to exceed a credit limit on a credit card.

Obviously someone somewhere has intercepted your post. They will likely look at the postal service, they'll probably ask you whether you live with anyone else, whether anyone else has access to your postbox, e.g. if you live in flats etc.

They'll likely close the compromised account but whether they will issue with a new card and account is not definite. They may or they may not.

I'd suggest getting a copy of your credit files, to see if there is any evidence anyone has used that info to obtain other credit in your name, and intercepted that as well.
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • HOMES
    HOMES Posts: 29 Forumite
    GRRR, I looked on my credit file, nothing unusal. I live in a semi detached house, It's just me and my dad that lives here, but he's not well! Stuck in the house!

It would be so unfair if they closed down my account, I have been working hard to rebuild my credit history. I would be so angry.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    HOMES wrote: »
    ...I thought once u have a credit card and if it comes to the limit, it won't allow to go over, it declines you!!!
    It's definitely not the case for the majority of CCs. A CC limit is the same as an agreed overdraft limit for a full current account.
    That's why there are charges in place for going over the limit(s).
  • izools
    izools Posts: 7,513 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have to say it was probably only a matter of time until this happened.

When I opened my Nationwide accounts in January of last year cards arrived on the same day as their corresponding PINs, and didn't require activation!

It's a bloody good job the postie was honest round here otherwise I'd have been in exactly the same position.

I did raise a formal complaint with Nationwide for sending pre-activated cards out the same day as their corresponding PINs, seems they've done nothing to address the issues...
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    Coincidentally my new Nationwide Credit Card arrived today. Was concerned after reading this earlier because it's been over a week since I sent them the agreement but the card was there when I arrived home.

As per izools, it doesn't need to be activated and they even state "you can use your card for online purchases straightaway" on the letter the card is attached to. This is so poor seeing as other cards require activation and password checks.

And it gets worse. On the same day I received a letter from them with Nationwide written on the envelope. It's the letter to say we'll be sending out your new credit card within 7-10 working days. Turn both envelopes over and they both have an identical post code on the back do without even opening the plain envelope I know it's a credit card

Ultimately they'll lose out as they will be liable when their pathetically protected cards are so easily stolen. In the meantime it's a hassle and a worry for people like the OP
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    HOMES wrote: »
    It would be so unfair if they closed down my account, I have been working hard to rebuild my credit history. I would be so angry.

That shouldnt worry you, not sure how it works with fraud but I guess the account will be closed down, card will be stopped and you will get a new 1.
  • izools wrote: »

When I opened my Nationwide accounts in January of last year cards arrived on the same day as their corresponding PINs, and didn't require activation!

Ditto, same thing happened when I got my NW card..
    Never argue with an idiot. Especially not this idiot because I'm always right anyway.
  • rb10
    rb10 Posts: 6,334 Forumite
    izools wrote: »

Many other banks will only require cards to be activated for certain post code areas (i.e. those with high levels of fraud observed).

It is therefore possible that you live in an area deemed to be 'safe', and so cards sent there do not require activation.

(I don't know if Nationwide work in this way, but it's certainly the case for other banks).
  • sfax
    sfax Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    rb10 wrote: »
    Many other banks will only require cards to be activated for certain post code areas (i.e. those with high levels of fraud observed).

It is therefore possible that you live in an area deemed to be 'safe', and so cards sent there do not require activation.

(I don't know if Nationwide work in this way, but it's certainly the case for other banks).

I can see some logic here (although i still think the majority of customers would prefer to activate regardless to mitigate the risk of what has happened to the OP) but in my case I have had new credit cards for Amex, Tesco and BOS in the last year, all to this address and all required activation. Only Nationwide didn't.

Add to this the blank envelope containing the card that uses a Nationwide post code and is sent on the same day as the new credit card letter in a Nationwide envelope (same post code) and you've got some very shoddy security IMO
  • HOMES
    HOMES Posts: 29 Forumite
    thanks for all your responses, nationwide seems to think it was me who used it and I am in this fraud!!

How can it be possible. I didn't receive card, or the pin. It's stressing me out. They said they'll let me know the outcome of their decision.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure