Buying Tickets via Gumtree

Hello. I require tickets to an event and posted a advert on Gumtree for sellers to get in contact. I have been inundated with texts and phonecalls. I have spoken to one guy on the phone who offered me the tickets at half the 'Ebay' price and he has asked for me to pay via bank transfer.

Is this a safe way of doing business on there or is a 'face to face' meeting the better way. Unfortunately he is miles away so that is not an option really.

I was just looking for a bit of advice before commencing.

Thankyou in advance.

Comments

• MamaMoo_2
    MamaMoo_2 Posts: 2,644 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2013 at 5:26PM
    becki1824 wrote: »
    Hello. I require tickets to an event and posted a advert on Gumtree for sellers to get in contact. I have been inundated with texts and phonecalls. I have spoken to one guy on the phone who offered me the tickets at half the 'Ebay' price and he has asked for me to pay via bank transfer.

Is this a safe way of doing business on there or is a 'face to face' meeting the better way. Unfortunately he is miles away so that is not an option really.

I was just looking for a bit of advice before commencing.

Thankyou in advance.

DON'T DO IT!

Quite simply, if he turns out to be a fraudster, it's tough luck if you paid by bank transfer as the bank won't help you get it back.
    You could try PayPal as then you have 45 days to put in a claim. Make sure if paying by PayPal you make it clear you're paying for goods, don't ever send it labelled as a gift etc, as this will afford you little to no protection.
  • My advice is to only go ahead with this if you want your second post on MSE to be 'I transferred some money for some tickets and I haven't received them.....help!'
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    becki1824 wrote: »
    I have spoken to one guy on the phone who offered me the tickets at half the 'Ebay' price and he has asked for me to pay via bank transfer.

Ask yourself this - why would he sell them to you when he could get double the price by flogging them on eBay? The answer is he doesn't have any tickets to sell. If he used eBay, buyers would pay via PayPal and have protection.

If you send him money by bank transfer, it will be gone - there will be no way of getting the money back.
  • Thankyou very much. I will go down the Ebay route. I knew something wasn't right but I just wanted to get it confirmed for me.

I'm very grateful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport