Help with a University Project.

Hello
I am a 4th year Product Design student at the University of Nottingham carrying out my final year project. The brief I have set myself is to design a product or piece of equipment that will be useful in a flooding situation, Whether is it from external sources like rivers or internal source such as a burst pipe or overflowing toilet.

I was wondering if you could help me by letting me know what sorts of equipment you have used when water has been a problem or the issues you have had to deal with, such as damp or mould. Any stories about personal experiences would be extremely useful.

I will post the concept ideas I come up with at a later date and get your opinions on them to see if they would be of any use.

Thank you very much for your time.

Olivia

Comments

• A Sandbag filling utility. Usually known as a spade!
  • Final year projects are always a headache you need to give you best in it.
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Speaking as somebody who assesses final year student design projects, the brief sounds a bit wishy-washy to me. Has it had any input from your project supervisor?

As it stands, the final product could be anything from a sand bag to a hovercraft.
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    How about solving the problems with sandbags (heavy, inconvenient, require sand, etc.)?
  • jamesdaly
    jamesdaly Posts: 19 Forumite
    Speaking as somebody who assesses final year student design projects, the brief sounds a bit wishy-washy to me. Has it had any input from your project supervisor?

As it stands, the final product could be anything from a sand bag to a hovercraft.

I agree with this - my advice is to keep it as simple as possible. Look at the background literature, pick something very specific in it and analyse - project done! Off the top of my head - how about a specific type of drainage system.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure