Calculators give opposite results

Options
Why is it that the Cheaper Energy Club calculator shows that switching to Npower will save me £53 per month, whilst going to the Npower web site calculates that it will cost me £59.44 per YEAR MORE.
They both end up with the same Energy Online tariff but such a big difference.
There's a big discrepancy there somewhere.

P.S.
Is there a list of companies used in the Cheaper Energy Club calculations somewhere.
I am always interested to see which companies such comparisons use - just how complete a list is it ?

Regards

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    What is the 'Cheaper Energy Club? Have you used other comparison websites like Energyhelpline or uswitch etc.

Have you entered annual kWh consumption?

In the case of Npower there is a £100 bonus at the end of 12 months, has this been included in both figures?

The whole purpose of comparison website is to get you to switch so they get commission. So they will present information to persuade to switch.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you using annual kWH usage or monthly DD spend? The latter does not produce acccurate results.
    Also remember that Npower offer a loyalty bonus in the 13th month, and since the comp sites work one year ahead only, this will not be factored into the results.
    No tariff switch will save you £636pa, unless you live in a sizeable stately home!
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    Options
    scamlist wrote: »
    Why is it that the Cheaper Energy Club calculator shows that switching to Npower will save me £53 per month, whilst going to the Npower web site calculates that it will cost me £59.44 per YEAR MORE.
    They both end up with the same Energy Online tariff but such a big difference.
    There's a big discrepancy there somewhere.

P.S.
    Is there a list of companies used in the Cheaper Energy Club calculations somewhere.
    I am always interested to see which companies such comparisons use - just how complete a list is it ?

Regards
    The MSE Cheap Energy Club obtains it's data from the MoneySuperMarket.com comparison site.
    As one of the accredited comparison sites, it includes all the generally available tariffs from all the suppliers.
  • scamlist
    Options
    Cardew - for the cheaper energy club - At the top of this page Hover over 'Utilities' then select Cheap Gas and Electric - At the top of the new page is a link to the club. It appears to be a part of Money Saving Expert.

I always use actual KW of electric and gas to get acual prices.
    I always compare offers from 'switch' sites to tariffs on suppliers site and put them in a spread sheet.
    But the above discrepancy I cannot reconcile.
    Thanks
  • Wywth
    Wywth Posts: 5,079 Forumite
    edited 28 February 2013 at 12:06PM
    Options
    scamlist wrote: »
    Cardew - for the cheaper energy club - At the top of this page Hover over 'Utilities' then select Cheap Gas and Electric - At the top of the new page is a link to the club. It appears to be a part of Money Saving Expert.

I always use actual KW of electric and gas to get acual prices.
    I always compare offers from 'switch' sites to tariffs on suppliers site and put them in a spread sheet.
    But the above discrepancy I cannot reconcile.
    Thanks

Please provide:
    1. Annual consumption figures
    2. Current supplier & tariff
    3. Supply region (or first part of your postcode)

and maybe someone will take a look for you :)

Edit: Hmmm... Spectrum was Green, now it is Red.
    Always seems to happen when I ask such difficult questions here :cool:
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    Options
    macman wrote: »
    Also remember that Npower offer a loyalty bonus in the 13th month, and since the comp sites work one year ahead only, this will not be factored into the results.

Unless there has been a recent change that is not correct. In the first year the Direct Debit bonus is "earned" on the last day of having been on a Direct Debit tariff for 12 months (N.B. *not* after 12 Direct Debit payments). A Consumer Focus accredited website should include the bonus in the headline annual cost.

I believe the first year bonus is credited pro-rata "on account" every bill. Note that last point can result in a "claw-back" if a customer switches before the bonus is "earned".
  • macman
    Options
    OP, having re-read, I'm now assuming that the first line in your initial post should read £53 saving per year ?
  • scamlist
    scamlist Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    macman - afraid not.
    That's why I put the capitals in the second line, and why I am shocked at the difference
  • macman
    Options
    What is your annual spend/kWh consumption in that a tariff switch can save you £636pa?!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport