RBS Debit Card shenanigans, what to do ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
13 replies 3K views
TzarJayTzarJay Forumite
88 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Hi

I opened my RBS select account in December to run as a second current account so I don't have all my eggs in one basket, the account in fine and works as you'd expect. But, RBS issued me with the light blue Online Debit Card like the one in this picutre:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/sachmo78/cards2.jpg

Today I went into the Branch to ask for an upgrade to the Offline Debit Card. I've tried to use my current card at the local Asda un-maned petrol station, which it was rejected, on the train a few weeks back, which it was rejected too. So it's 100% the Online card. I have an Offline card with Barclays and a Credit Card which is always paid off each month.

So I went into the Branch told the teller what the problem is, to which I got the expected "dunno what your talking about its a debit card". The branch manager then came over to try and sort it out, to his and my surprise it said on the computer I have a "Full Auth Visa Debit Card" but obviously it isnt hence my dilema.

Not sure what to do now as there was nothing they could do since the computer said it was an Offline card, but clearly it isnt.

Replies

• TzarJay wrote: »
    to his and my surprise it said on the computer I have a "Full Auth Visa Debit Card" but obviously it isnt hence my dilema.

Not sure what to do now as there was nothing they could do since the computer said it was an Offline card, but clearly it isnt.

Full auth debit card is just that....
    It requires the FULL amount of the transaction to be authorised.

NOT the £1 or £2 that pay @ pump do, or the train ticket terminals, authorise for.
    So you do have the correct card as per their system.

These types of terminals have a ZERO floor limit and without making a connection will not work no matter what type of card you have.

Clearly the mananger and staff at the branch have no idea on the diffrent cards and how they work.... :o Still they will know how to sell you something :rotfl:

Online/offline is just confusing the issue.

In effect you have what used to be called a Electron/Solo card.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • TzarJay wrote: »
    Hi

I opened my RBS select account in December to run as a second current account so I don't have all my eggs in one basket, the account in fine and works as you'd expect. But, RBS issued me with the light blue Online Debit Card like the one in this picutre:

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz311/sachmo78/cards2.jpg

Today I went into the Branch to ask for an upgrade to the Offline Debit Card. I've tried to use my current card at the local Asda un-maned petrol station, which it was rejected, on the train a few weeks back, which it was rejected too. So it's 100% the Online card. I have an Offline card with Barclays and a Credit Card which is always paid off each month.

So I went into the Branch told the teller what the problem is, to which I got the expected "dunno what your talking about its a debit card". The branch manager then came over to try and sort it out, to his and my surprise it said on the computer I have a "Full Auth Visa Debit Card" but obviously it isnt hence my dilema.

Yep you defiantly have the online Full Auth Visa Debit card known elsewhere as the Visa Electron.
  • sscott5581sscott5581 Forumite
    658 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    15.3.4 If you have a Debit card that displays the Visa Debit logo and starts with the numbers 4751 16, you will only
    be able to use your card at a retailer or supplier of services where they can authorise the transaction with us at
    the time of the transaction being made. If this is not possible the transaction will be declined.

RBS Terms
  • chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I can say with certainty that the vast majority of staff would have no idea what you're talking about. Poor communication from the top down on this.
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember in any high street branch the emphasis on training is in sales, not banking operations.
  • Agree with the above.

I would say 95% of staff in banks including managers would know what the hell someone is talking about if a customer walks into a branch and say I don't want this debit card its online and I want an offline card.

They would be like who's this crazy customer.
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to sound pretty ancient, but in my day, 90% of back ofice work was done in branch, so there was ususally someone in branch whoc ould explain problems.
  • chambtachambta Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only clue I get when opening accounts is whether an overdraft is offered. If it does, whether taken or not, it will be a dark blue card. Otherwise it's likely to be the full authorisation card.

I don't think the bank see it as an issue and I can half understand that as I can't think of a single query I've taken at my branch in the many years the different cards have existed.
  • Drp8713Drp8713 Forumite
    898 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I have just opened an account and they have sent me one of these

Equifax had cocked up my file which they have now fixed but too late it now seems

Is this going to have any real effect? Its not my main account i have full cards with santander, nationwide and lloyds. Still tempted to send it back!.
  • Go into a branch and ask for a contactless card. All contactless cards, by necessity, support offline transactions, plus the bank staff will have heard of one. If they say they can't give you one use the opportunity to be nosy, find out exactly what their issue is.
    Disclosure: I'm a former Barclays employee. All views expressed are my own.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals