It's mangetout time!!!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
7 replies 746 views
Sally_ASally_A Forumite
2.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Now is the time to sow mangetout, mine get started in a seed tray in the unheated greenhouse, they will sprout mid March, harden them off and plant in the garden - by using smaller trays or even the 300g mushroom containers, bury them flush to the ground like carpet tiles.

Now is the time to collect beansticks and if you are in a hazel area, bring the whole 13-15ft tall stick home. 8ft for the beans and the top 5-7ft twiggy bit for the mangetout.

Last year was a bit weird with the weather and they went from pods to seed in 1 day.

Mangetout are prolific, and can be easily frozen (top and tail them), without blanching - will be fine after 6 months, and acceptable for 12 months.

Carrouby de Mausanne (sp?) and Oregan Sugar Pods do well for me on our clay-ey soil.

If they go over, ie the peas inside get large - use them as peas.

Replies

• grannyjogrannyjo Forumite
    188 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    what a great reminder.It was a lovely day today- warm. I put myself into the garden looking at my rather sorry looking greenhouse and drcided it was time to clean it out again and time to plant a few things. Mangetout are great because you can pick a few a day and they just keep coming.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you manage to get peas to the freezer?

never had more than a handful reach the kitchen yet. I do love fresh peas straight from the pod. As does most of the family it seems.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in Ni. Whilst we are enjoying beautiful clear days ATM 8 oC ath norm, the nights are still dropping to minus 5 and heavy frosts.

Too early for us?

I have a brick built out house with a wee dodgy paraffin heater which just about keeps it above freezing
  • prowlaprowla Forumite
    12K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mangetout - you've just got to eat em all!
  • MrsAnnieMrsAnnie Forumite
    679 Posts
    Sally_A wrote: »
    Now is the time to sow mangetout, mine get started in a seed tray in the unheated greenhouse, they will sprout mid March, harden them off and plant in the garden - by using smaller trays or even the 300g mushroom containers, bury them flush to the ground like carpet tiles.

Now is the time to collect beansticks and if you are in a hazel area, bring the whole 13-15ft tall stick home. 8ft for the beans and the top 5-7ft twiggy bit for the mangetout.

Last year was a bit weird with the weather and they went from pods to seed in 1 day.

Mangetout are prolific, and can be easily frozen (top and tail them), without blanching - will be fine after 6 months, and acceptable for 12 months.

Carrouby de Mausanne (sp?) and Oregan Sugar Pods do well for me on our clay-ey soil.

If they go over, ie the peas inside get large - use them as peas.

How do you cook your frozen mangetout?

Unlike the fresh ones that are crisp and slightly crunchy, I find the end result of frozen ones are soggy and limp. So I gave up freezing them and only grow to eat during the season.
    I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he ha
    s had to overcome while trying to succeed. Booker T Washington
  • Sally_ASally_A Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I either steam them for 3 -4 minutes, or use them in a stir fry.

Agree, nothing better than fresh and crunchy.

I'm doing Caroubie de Mausanne (excuse spelling), but if they go over, they can be podded as peas too. Win win!!
  • Sewed mine yesterday, trying a new purple variety now that the eyesight is getting even worse and maybe I'll manage to get them all picked this year!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals