Beauty - Best buys & worst buys

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
18 replies 2.6K views
FelicityFelicity Forumite
1.1K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Hi, I thought it would be useful to have a thread on top tips for looking good.

It is easy to spend a fortune on products that just don't do what they say they are going to do so sharing this information could be very MSE!

You don't have to have 3 in each category if you can't think of 3 (and likewise add more if you have more tips) so please share your best beauty secrets.

My best buy top tips are:-

1. Using a primer under make-up. I only recently discovered this and currently use Studio Secret from L'Oreal (currently £14.29 at Boots).

http://www.boots.com/en/LOreal-Paris-Studio-Secrets-Smoothing-Resurfacing-Primer_947702/

2. Lacura Face Tan from Aldi. I stocked up a couple of years ago and am currently on my last bottle but can't find it in the shops anymore, or even on ebay! This is a moisturiser which after a few days builds up to a lovely none-streaky glow.
An alternative product which doe just the same is Clarins Radiance Plus Gel but at about £28.50 it is much more expensive.

http://www.clarins.co.uk/Radiance-Plus%20Golden%20Glow%20Cream-Gel/C010405002,en_GB,pd.html?start=1

3. Olay Regenerist Serum (3 point super seum). I love, love, love this product (and the night cream) and have had so many compliments since I started using it.

I have friends who use Clarins Beauty Flash Balm in the past and they get this fresh, youthful looking, glowing skin appearance but it never worked for me. The Olay product does and best of all it is normally on special offer at Amazon (is 2 or 3 times that price in Boots and other chemists normally).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Olay-Regenerist-Daily-Point-Treatment/dp/B004BDRSOS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1361961443&sr=8-2

I have got so many worst buys, it's where to start! Will add later when I have thought more.

So please add your best and worst.

Replies

• HermiaHermia Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Best Buys

1) Flexitol lip balm. I have had chapped/flaking lips with cracks at the corners for MONTHs and nothing worked. I bought this for a few quid and now my lips are perfect. This stuff is truly miraculous and you only need to use it a few times a day as it doesn't seem to wear off. I have bought 4 tubes as I am so worried they might stop making it!

2) Garnier 7 Day Intensive body lotions. My dry skin loves these and they are affordable.

3) L'Oreal True Match powder. Copes with shine well and does blend in with your skin tone.

Worst Buys

1) Lancome Juicy Tubes. These are over-priced and over-hyped. I don't know why they bother producing them in different colours as they all look the same on me and they don't last at all.

2) Body Shop body butters. They all smell minging (who wants to smell like a giant strawberry?!), are expensive, horrible to rub into dry skin and I just don't think the big open tubs are hygienic.

3) No 7 Protect and Perfect serum. Gave me the worst break out of my life. I haven't had this problem with serums from other companies so I am not sure what they put in it.
  • Interesting thread. I'm 29, my eyes have a fair few crows feet and I have been thinking about finding a better eye cream. I wonder if I'm a bit to young for the regenerist one?
  • edited 27 February 2013 at 6:42PM
    HollyUKHollyUK Forumite
    19 Posts
    edited 27 February 2013 at 6:42PM
    Best buys:

Forever Living Deodorant - I bought this after having a rash from the more aggressive ones and haven't looked back - I love it - it seems expensive when you buy it, but it lasts for many, many months and is very effective even in really hot weather.

My electric toothbrush - a gadget rather than a beauty product but I've used one for years and they really do make a huge different to teeth and gums. Very expensive these days, so when I think I need a replacement I bide my time and wait for some offers - you can usually pick them up for half price in the supermarket or on amazon at some point.

Muslin clothes - I first used these when I tried Liz Earle cleanser and continued to use it with every other cleanser I've ever used. I bought enough from ebay so I had clean ones every day and just wash with the normal white laundry and iron to make sure there is no lingering bacteria. I find they make my cleanser last longer and get my face really clean - they also perform a sort of gentle exfoliation so if you have sensitive skin it's enough - you don;t need any of the grainy exfoliators.

Worst buys:

This is tricky - I have quite a bit of stuff which was really average or less, but not much that was awful.

Lush: I was knocked out with their general messages, the idea of natural products and lost of people were going mad about their products on you tube, but I have failed to connect at all. I enjoyed using one of their bath melts, but they are expensive for what they are and I really am a shower girl. I've tried their shampoo and conditioners with very mixed results as well. I think it is well overpriced for what it is.

The new M&S recipe body butters - I love the old ones but the new ones just aren't as good. Much less creamy and don't sink in so well. I don't really like fruity or food type smells so only like a few of their variations. They did however used to do a lime and bergamont which I surprised myself by liking a lot! I also love their old cocoa butter smell, but the new one is not so good. I'm afraid body lotion/body butter is the holy grail for me and I still don't have one I love.

Cath Kidston emery boards - a strange one this, but they are pretty awful and not nice to use. They seem hard and you have to work really hard to get them to shape your nails. I quite like the foamy ones and I've heard the glass ones are good, but haven't tried one yet. Quite like her handbags though!
  • Best Buys

Botox/fillers - not MSE on the surface but when I work out all the money I have saved on skincare and make up since having these treatments it works out well and the effects can never be equalled by creams etc alone.

As above, an electric toothbrush has made a huge difference to my teeth and gums, I buy when on offer too and I would also add Corsodyl gel to this.

Premium haircare, I rotate between Tigi, Redken and Revlon, I can now manage my hair without heat or fuss.

Flexitol oil, I didnt buy this but received a sample and it has had dramtic effects on scarring from acne and stretch marks and any dry patches including feet, I will buy this when the sample runs out.

Sudocream, I use a light layer of this every other night to keep spots and blemishes at bay, so simple, effective and cheap.

Professional fake tan, the same solution used in a spray tan but applied by hand costs about £25 for a six month supply based on twice a week tanning, you can choose the strength and as its water based dries instantly and is easy and quick to apply.

Aveeno oatmeal body moisturiser, leaves skin feeling amazing and doesnt strip my tan.

Worst buys

Dr Sebaghs anti aging serum, I didnt pay for this but it retails at £290 and its absolutley useless.

Most foundations from the high street expensive or cheap with the exception of Revlon, MAC and EL.

I'll come back with some more when I think of some..
    All power is from within and therefore under our control
  • *max**max* Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh I've had some rubbish buys over the years...

Best buys:

- Bourjois Volume Clubbing mascara - my new HG mascara!
    - La Roche Posay Effaclar Mat: excellent moisturiser, prevents shine and feels lovely on.
    - Dove Intense Repair shampoo. Best shampoo I've ever used.
    - MAC Studio Fix compact foundation. I keep going back to it!

Worst buys:

- Organic Surge moisturisers and the facial scrub. Awful awful stuff. The scrub feels like washing your face with tiny shreds of glass.
    - Body Shop body butters. They just don't absorb well and I CBA spending so long doing that.
    - Most liquid foundations apart from Double Wear and Colourstay.
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best Buys:
    Decent quality eye shadows. Brands such as Chanel, Mac, Bobbi Brown...etc (all the expensive brands) why? Because they make eye shadows which do not crease, to not fade to nothing and do not take about 5 applications just to get the same colour as exists in the pan. Its about quality not quantity!

Bobbi Brown Gel Liner
    When used with a fine line brush (doesn't need to be a BB brush) these gel liners are fantastic! Soooo easy to apply, doesn't take years to take off and just looks so perfect first time. Keep in the fridge to make it last longer.

Corsodyl mouth wash:
    This. Stuff. Works!

Worst Buys:
    Boujoirs mascara: these just flake after about 6 hours. I've ruined three pairs of glasses! The flakes get into the rims of my "rimless" glasses (the rim is a transparent wire rather then being no rim at all as glasses wearers will know) and once there, you cannot get the flakes out again leaving you with dark uneven shadowy parts on my glasses.

Lush Shampoo bars: just can't get on with these- way too drying, as if I were using a bar of soap! I love their Rehab shampoo but the bars? Not unless I want haystack hair!

Vaseline/cheaper lip balms.
    Just creates drier lips after my first application.

'Simple' Eye Corrector Pen
    Anyone gotten more then three days use out of these things? What a waste of money! Once blackened, you cannot clean it up- and I've even gone as far as to chop up the nib and also pull out the nib and turn it upside down.

Facial wipes
    If anyone manages to feel like they've actually cleaned their face after using one of these, then something is seriously wrong with their tap water! These wipes always leave an oily film and never actually clean as properly as water and facial wash- try a toner after a wipe if you need evidence! Good for eye makeup remover (as long as you wash afterwards) but not for skin- not unless you want early wrinkles!
  • sixtiesgal_2sixtiesgal_2 Forumite
    280 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I can think of a few:

Best buys:

No7 and Clinique make up - I switch between the two or have a mixture of both.

Wella hair care - I get this from my hairdresser, the shampoo and hair mask and it helps my hair get back into condition.

Electric toothbrush - have to agree on this one, couldn't go back to a manual brush.

Worse buys:

Tresemme shampoo - made my hair greasy

Aveeno cream - too thin and watery, not a patch on E45.

Aldi face wipes - this might sound ungrateful as my friend bought me a packet to try but they feel so abrasive on my skin, prefer Simple or No7.
  • l0u1sel0u1se Forumite
    179 Posts
    Best buys
    Collection 2000 lasting concealer - raved by all he beauty bloggers as the best concealer around
    Maybelline falsies mascara - I have tried lots of high end mascaras including benefit Dior Clinique etc and find this better!

Dont really know any others that come to mind but these two products are great :)
  • edited 2 March 2013 at 4:13AM
    Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 March 2013 at 4:13AM
    Best Buys (wavy/ curly hair growing out chemical and mechanical damage, sensitive eczematous skin, early signs of ageing)

- Lanolips lip balm in Lemonaid or Mulberry: cult product with beauty journos and bloggers, super silky and effective, a tube last many months, lanolin supplies lipids naturally found in our skin
    - AloeDent aloe vera toothpaste: sulphate surfactant free, needed to use less lip balm within days after switching from a regular toothpaste which made me wonder what the commercial stuff was doing to my gums! Very mild flavour, UK brand

- Garnier Fructis Repair & Shine conditioner: regularly recommended on long hair and curly hair forums (US name Triple Nutrition), silicone free, close to the 'slip' of a silicone product without the build up, can be used leave in which is more MSE than wash out!
    - KTC coconut oil: cheap as chips, reduces porosity, protects against damage according to published research, leaves hair bouncy and shiny but not greasy if I conditioner-wash it out

Skinessentialactives KinNiaNag serum recipe: either DIY with a kit, or the MyFawnie version, based on a solid body of science and loved by many on skincare forums. Silky, lightweight and great under make up, little goes a long way, really noticed my skin barrier seemed stronger, less prone to random flaky tantrums, fine lines plumped
    - Sigma Sigmax kabuki brushes: rave reviews from YouTube 'gurus' and bloggers, amazing quality for the price, better than far more expensive high street make up brushes.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • .Johanna..Johanna. Forumite
    98 Posts
    HollyUK wrote: »
    Best buys:

Forever Living Deodorant - I bought this after having a rash from the more aggressive ones and haven't looked back - I love it - it seems expensive when you buy it, but it lasts for many, many months and is very effective even in really hot weather.

My electric toothbrush - a gadget rather than a beauty product but I've used one for years and they really do make a huge different to teeth and gums. Very expensive these days, so when I think I need a replacement I bide my time and wait for some offers - you can usually pick them up for half price in the supermarket or on amazon at some point.

Muslin clothes - I first used these when I tried Liz Earle cleanser and continued to use it with every other cleanser I've ever used. I bought enough from ebay so I had clean ones every day and just wash with the normal white laundry and iron to make sure there is no lingering bacteria. I find they make my cleanser last longer and get my face really clean - they also perform a sort of gentle exfoliation so if you have sensitive skin it's enough - you don;t need any of the grainy exfoliators.

Worst buys:

This is tricky - I have quite a bit of stuff which was really average or less, but not much that was awful.

Lush: I was knocked out with their general messages, the idea of natural products and lost of people were going mad about their products on you tube, but I have failed to connect at all. I enjoyed using one of their bath melts, but they are expensive for what they are and I really am a shower girl. I've tried their shampoo and conditioners with very mixed results as well. I think it is well overpriced for what it is.

The new M&S recipe body butters - I love the old ones but the new ones just aren't as good. Much less creamy and don't sink in so well. I don't really like fruity or food type smells so only like a few of their variations. They did however used to do a lime and bergamont which I surprised myself by liking a lot! I also love their old cocoa butter smell, but the new one is not so good. I'm afraid body lotion/body butter is the holy grail for me and I still don't have one I love.

Cath Kidston emery boards - a strange one this, but they are pretty awful and not nice to use. They seem hard and you have to work really hard to get them to shape your nails. I quite like the foamy ones and I've heard the glass ones are good, but haven't tried one yet. Quite like her handbags though!

Is that the aloe vera Forever Living deodorant? I'm sure my friend got me one in the past when I was after an aluminium free deodorant. Where can you buy them?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals