Question regarding BT line packages

Options
This message is on behalf of my parents who have asked me to try and find out about their broadband and upgrade them if possible. From logging in to their account they have BT Total Broadband Option 2. They have the old white style homehub with phone attached. They got something in the post the other day about a special deal with a BB code.

Now that we have ADSL2+ here on the exchange, I am wondering if this is for that service or the old ADSL Max that they are currently on. Also when I go on to the website it shows lots of options to upgrade.

Simply speaking what they want is a newer home hub so we have better range, and also any ADSL2+ package that goes with that. If there is any way to keep the extra phone line (Broadband Talk) they have, then that would be useful but is not important as it is not used very much.

The Option 2 40gb broadband plan that they are on seems to be around £20 a month, which is quite expensive in comparison now to the £18 unlimited package for ADSL2+.

I know that a BT representive posts on here so this is really why I am asking this here. Or perhaps any advice from others. So to break it down.........

Currently on : BT Total Broadband Option 2, white hub, 40gb allowance, approx £20 a month, ADSL Max.

Wanted : New hub, ADSL2+, cheaper (or equal) price if possible.

Are the postal deals worth going for ? Or would that not include a new hub or ADSL2+ ? It says in the small print it comes with a hub but only if not already sent one. I am also confused though as it doesn't seem to be an upgrade offer, it is acting as though we don't have broadband.

I am also wondering if the letters for these deals are really meant for me and not my parents. They have my dads name on, but I have the same initials and a BT account at the same address, perhaps BT are confused. I am not currently looking for BT broadband though myself.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 27 February 2013 at 10:31AM
    Options
    Sounds like they have an ancient HomeHub 1.0, if so it's probably running (insecure) WEP wireless encryption too...
    But they really don't need a new contract just to get an HH upgrade: if they're out of minimum term just get them to call BT and blag an ugrade to a wireless 'N' hub.
    If not, then HomeHubs are available by the shedload on ebay for 99p upwards. Or decent ADSL modem/routers from a fiver-you don't have to use a HomeHub for BT.
    All hubs (including their original 1.0) support ADSL2+, so if their exchange supports it, they'll already have it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport