IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Parking Ticket while trying to sell my car.

Options
Hi guys,

A bit of background as briefly as I can.

I recently parked overnight in a parking spot outside my flat that wasn't "mine" to park in. (It had been empty for a month since I moved into the flat and I did display my flats visitor permit as my partner was parked in the space that had been "assigned" to us.)

Minster Baywatch have calculated this mistake to be worth a charge of £85 (£60 if I pay before the 14 day cut-off point)

From looking at other posts in this section of the forums, I feel a lot of people would say "ignore this". I calculate that the costs incurred by my mistake to be worth £0. The car-park is not Pay/Display and as the bay was unused, I didn't actually cause anybody to have to park elsewhere, risking a fine of their own. I have spoken to the mortgage payer, and owner of the space who apologised to me for posting an angry letter through my door, I too have apologised for parking there and have since not parked in any of the other unused bays.

My 1st question would be: Do I have grounds to not pay this charge? I like the idea of not paying rather than appealing as the latter seems to suggest I might actually owe the £85. Recommendations on how to play this would be appreciated.

2ndly, I am just about to put my car up for sale. Will any checks that potential buyers run on my car have this PPC ticket flagged against it? Would it be best to engage the PPC so that in future they don't chase any new owner but focus their attentions on me. I really don't want to be accused by a buyer of trying to offload a "dodgy" car.

These PPCs do sound like they would pull any stunt to get my money, would they use a buyer to put the pressure on me to pay?

I hope this makes sense, apologies it is a bit long winded. This is my 1st post so sorry if I have said something that seems too obvious to some of the more experienced members.

Comments

• spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This company were warned by the Courts system against bringing Vexatious claims in court then failing to turn up.
    So it is fair to say IGNORE them and the Fake parking tickets they get the local curtain twitchier in the flats to write for them.
    No doubt the Blackleg they have on board will show themselves to you.
    Be happy...;)
  • peter_the_piper
    Options
    No more chance of this showing up on your record than the invoices you get from Nigeria. Just ignore. They can't chase up any new owner as the dates will show its before that time and it would be very nasty for MB if they did that.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Stroma
    Stroma Posts: 7,971 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    Options
    Ignore them, this is just a fake ticket nothing more.
    When posting a parking issue on MSE do not reveal any information that may enable PPCs to identify you. They DO monitor the forum.
    We don't need the following to help you.
    Name, Address, PCN Number, Exact Date Of Incident, Date On Invoice, Reg Number, Vehicle Picture, The Time You Entered & Left Car Park, Or The Amount of Time You Overstayed.
    :beer: Anti Enforcement Hobbyist Member :beer:
  • societys_child
    Options
    Will any checks that potential buyers run on my car have this PPC ticket flagged against it?

Of course not, how could they do that? You're taking this far too seriously.
  • BASFORDLAD
    BASFORDLAD Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    Options
    Mcbain dont take this scam Seriously
    For everthing else there's mastercard.
    For clampers there's Barclaycard.
  • 27col
    27col Posts: 6,554 Forumite
    Options
    If you really had read the other posts in this forum you would not be asking the question. You seem to be under the illusion that the PPC has some legal right to impose charges on you. They don't have any such right. They can ask, but you can equally well refuse to have anything to do with them and their scamming invoices.
    I can afford anything that I want.
    Just so long as I don't want much.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    After 28 days, Minster Baywatch will buy your data from the DVLA - and they have to state the date of the incident in order to get the registered keeper's address on THAT DATE (= you, not the new owner).

Let them. Ignore them. Get on with your life and just file their letters unless you get a very rare small claim (in which case come back here or ask pepipoo forums for a robust defence to get them to drop it). There is no contract between you and MB. And a PPC cannot claim a loss in a car park they do not own. Potentially a landowner/occupier could, but they won't.

No-one needs 'grounds not to pay' a protection racket like a fake PCN scam. It's the same as ignoring phishing emails. :)
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Mcbain88
    Options
    Thanks so much guys. I'll file whatever they send me and let you know if they attempt to take this further.

Apologies if I seemed naive at all but it is nice to get my suspicions confirmed.

Thanks again
    Mcbain88
  • spacey2012
    spacey2012 Posts: 5,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The tactic they employed when they did try court was to wait in the lobby and see if the defendant turned up when called by the usher, if they did, they got up and legged it.
    After warning about vexatious claims they appear to have just stuck to bluffing.

Fake Parking Ticket firms know that Circuit judges dont take any of their carp and once they get spanked in court they are all over google.
    Many fake ticket firms have had to change names after foolishly believing the rubbish they spout was true and getting slapped back down by the Judge.

This particular firm are a self ticketing set up with a percentage of the fake parking ticket money going to the person writing them, management companies love the opportunity to scam their residents as they know they are too lazy to de-elect them.
    Be happy...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport