We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Getting other half involved

Options
13»

Comments

• bargainbetty
    Options
    Just a thought, but how much do you have in the kids savings? Could you borrow from them, pay off debts, and then repay those accounts? Got to be cheaper in interest rates!

Lidl do an energy drink, tastes very much like Red Bull, and is about 25p a can. You could stock up for him?
    Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps....
    LB moment - March 2006. DFD - 1 June 2012!!! DEBT FREE!

May grocery challenge £45.61/£120
  • oldtrout
    oldtrout Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well done you for trying to keep it all together and keep your family's finances on track ... but you must relax! For the sake of your kids and your sanity ... and your relationship.

If your other half is still not understanding what you are trying to tell him, then I doubt he ever will. He sounds like a hard working man who is providing financially for his family, but just cannot budget. You are over-compensating for his lack of financial understanding, so you are probably sounding very OTT to him. Don't go on about it all the time ... have some fun and forget about it occasionally.

Forget the mortgage for a while. Cut back on as much as you can and get the credit card paid off. I would stop the savings for the children and use any substantial savings they already have to repay the credit card. What do they need it for at the moment? Resume their savings as and when. You really cannot do everything all at once, so be realistic.

I'm sure the kids would rather have a peaceful household than feel an atmosphere between two adults.
  • LannieDuck
    LannieDuck Posts: 2,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could you suggest that he raises the money for his new toy by ebaying some of his old toys? Kinect+old xbox +games should be enough for new xbox. Otherwise perhaps he has some other old toys lying around?

(To give an example, we sold off a load of my OH's old PS2 and DS games last year - got about £10-£15 each for them.)
    Mortgage when started: £330,995

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
    Arthur C. Clarke
  • simeyb
    simeyb Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Hi there - sorry if this sounds a bit rude, but on your SOA you say you have 2 adults and 4 children? From the way you are being treated by your husband, shouldn't you change that to one adult (you trying to keep everything together) and 5 children! He wants to have a new XBox??????? A serious growing up session sounds like its needed - not much point in a games console when there's no electricity to run it, TV to watch it on, or roof over his head to sit under! And as for the energy drinks etc - energy drinks are a ridiculous waste of money - I hope you can get through to him as he is knackering the good work that you are doing - he needs reminding that the kids are his priority, not behaving like one himself - unbelievable - sorry, I don't usually disrespect people, but jesus!!!!!
  • Mammy0f4
    Options
    LMAO simeyb! :)

It does feel like that sometimes, but he admits he's a big kid and he was like that when we met so I knew what I was letting myself in for :) He's a nice big kid rather than an obnoxious one though if you know what I mean :p

I was started to get really peed off when I was swapping things and putting things back from our weekly shop list to try and get it within budget and then he was randomly spending £3.50 or more on crap for one or two shifts at work and from a petrol station too so overpriced crap at that.

I think I've got through to him without putting him in panic mode though ;)
    SAHM to 4 Little Monkeys
    Credit Card Debt Paid: £1,230.01/£4,875.00
    Emergency Fund: £200/£500
  • simeyb
    simeyb Posts: 212 Forumite
    Options
    Mammy0f4 wrote: »
    LMAO simeyb! :)

It does feel like that sometimes, but he admits he's a big kid and he was like that when we met so I knew what I was letting myself in for :) He's a nice big kid rather than an obnoxious one though if you know what I mean :p

I was started to get really peed off when I was swapping things and putting things back from our weekly shop list to try and get it within budget and then he was randomly spending £3.50 or more on crap for one or two shifts at work and from a petrol station too so overpriced crap at that.

I think I've got through to him without putting him in panic mode though ;)
    LOL! Very best of luck then - remind him of his kiddiness now and then to get him in check - he already knows you have your hands full with the other three!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport