Smilemore Account from Smile Internet Bank

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
13 replies 5.2K views
The_Money_Saver_2The_Money_Saver_2 Forumite
49 posts
Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
Greetings all,

Does anyone know what Smile are doing with their packaged bank account? I had considered opening a Smilemore account when my current breakdown and travel insurance policies expire in March as it seems to opper a good level of cover. The website seems to suggest you now have to have an ordinary account with them and that you have to call them to upgrade. It seems you can no longer apply for the account online?

Thanks

Replies

• AnthornAnthorn Forumite
    4.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

Does anyone know what Smile are doing with their packaged bank account? I had considered opening a Smilemore account when my current breakdown and travel insurance policies expire in March as it seems to opper a good level of cover. The website seems to suggest you now have to have an ordinary account with them and that you have to call them to upgrade. It seems you can no longer apply for the account online?

Thanks
    smilemore is available as an upgrade for existing smile current account holders only. If you would like to upgrade your account please contact us on 0845 789 6809^ to arrange a callback.
    http://www.smile.co.uk/currentaccounts/smilemore-current-account
    Click on "Next Page"

That is a very good account for anyone with a car.
  • 1jim1jim Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anthorn wrote: »
    http://www.smile.co.uk/currentaccounts/smilemore-current-account
    Click on "Next Page"

That is a very good account for anyone with a car.

Would the breakdown cover be for one car only or on a joint account would both cars be covered?

Just had a quick scan and couldn't see the answer, but we normally take buy European breakdown and travel insurance as stand alone policies each year so this may be an okish deal, will do some sums and see
  • innovateinnovate
    16.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1jim wrote: »
    .........will do some sums and see

You need to compare the smallprint (i.e. what cover you get) as well as the price.
  • icic Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You could just apply for the privilege premier account with cooperative bank - its the same account, same price, same company - and they do allow you to apply online.
  • realaledrinkerrealaledrinker Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    Joint account - both account holders covered, not their cars.
    Ethical moneysaver
  • 1jim1jim Forumite
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joint account - both account holders covered, not their cars.
    Cheers, so joint account = both account holders covered for any car they drive? So in effect wife and I could be both driving different cars and breakdown at same time and both get breakdown cover?
  • 212212 Forumite
    241 posts
    1jim wrote: »
    Cheers, so joint account = both account holders covered for any car they drive? So in effect wife and I could be both driving different cars and breakdown at same time and both get breakdown cover?
    Correct.

It's any vehicle which either account holder is driving or a passenger in.

So as well as being covered for your car, you are also covered in a friend's. Say they only have very basic cover, you could phone and claim under your smilemore/Priv Prem cover instead - so for example you, the driver and all passengers would also then be entitled to the 'onward travel' benefit, which the car driver/owner may not have under their own policy :)
  • mauriphonicmauriphonic Forumite
    67 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    received from them this week.

Important information for you to read
    Changes to your smilemore account

We are taking this opportunity to inform you of some changes we will be making to our smilemore current account and how these may affect you. These changes will take effect from 30th March 2013.
    • We will be withdrawing the 20% discount for Co-operative Insurance Home Insurance. However if you have already taken advantage of this discount, it will continue to apply until the end of the first year of your policy.
    • In the future, you can no longer add another person to your account which means that you will be unable to change your account from a sole to a joint account. Should you need to open a joint account you can apply to open any of our other current accounts.
    As an existing customer, the account will otherwise remain unchanged and no further action is required.
  • 1jim1jim Forumite
    2.7K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Will need to make a decision soon then ;-)
  • mauriphonicmauriphonic Forumite
    67 posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Have to say the RAC cover is really handy having had to call on it already to get taken to a garage after a major breakdown, and the travel insurance covered a pre-existing I would have to have paid hundreds to get covered elsewhere too. Its quite a fee for an account, but for me at least works out cheaper than buying in the benefits separately.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support