Joint Loan

Options
baz36
baz36 Posts: 1 Newbie
Hi, back in 2004 when i was married i got a loan with AA finance, i was the main name on the loan but my husband was on it also (jointly) therefore a joint loan. The money was for him to buy a car(but i think at the time we told them it was for the home) but when we got the money he got a car in his name.

This was took out in 2004 we had separate bank accounts and the 1st payment went out of mine and then all the other payments from Sept 2004 till now have been paid out of his account ( we divorced in 2005) and solicitor said it would not be a problem as long as he carried on the payments £200 permonth.

Iam now in a new relationshii and due to marry next month!!! Ex husband has decided to upset me (we do not get on) and has stopped the payments knowing the company will come to me. He has also sold the car but not paid any off the loan.

I* got a call from the loan company stating they wanted payment, and i told them the situation (as it was the 1st i knew of it) and also told them that iam nowin a current IVA. Anyway have been in touch with my IP whos dealing with my IVA and they are going to try to add it.

Is there really nothing i can do, its so annoying, he still owes £5800, and feel like he has really shafted me and my fiance for this money. If they accept IVA it wont be too bad but if they dont we really dont have the money to pay this.
Cannot afford solicitor but have basically been told i wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

If it got as far as court, wouldit not be inmy favour the fact that since 2004 the payments have gone out of his account every single month?

any advice would be appreciated.

thank you

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If the loan was in your name (either sole or joint names) they have a right to come after you for payment.(They also reserve the right to go after your ex).
    The fact that he has paid since 2004 will not come into it.
    I am a little suprised that this was not sorted out at the time of the divorce.

Sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear.
  • tom188
    tom188 Posts: 2,330 Forumite
    Options
    And dont go for an IVA if you can possibly avoid it, as through doing so you will be saying goodbye to any sort of credit for the next 6 years.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport