Cefa or FPC?

Options

Comments

• lcharm
    lcharm Posts: 633 Forumite
    Options
    Apologies, I did actually mean advisers and not just IFAs!

Yeah the exams are 2x 1 hour units each (except for Cefa 4 which is synoptic with 10 case studies of 10 questions each) and if you fail one unit of an exam you only have to retake that particular unit which is good.

The network i'm planning to join are whole of market for mortgages. and multi tied for protection and they are affiliated to other companies for the investment and pensions side but my understanding is a lot of mortgage networks like Sesame do the same to expand to Financial advice.
    Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open.
    - Thomas Dewar
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Didnt know that. Thought it was the same as the CII CFP which is 5.

CeFA 3 is like CF3 and CF4 in one sitting.
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • clayshooter
    Options
    Hi Aegis
    You seem to know what you are talking about so I have a question for you or anyone else reading these threads. I originally wanted to know whether to study for FPC or CeFA and it appears it makes no difference. I already have CeMAP and have started to study for CeRER (equity release) as the mortgage market place is crap at this time. It now appears to me that I might be better off studying for CeFA as it gives me another string to my old bow. Im getting very near to retirement age but still want to work but age does come into it. If im to go for CeFA can anyone recommend a training course that I could take to pass quickly. Has anyone used Exam Angels and their list of exam questions to help study? Any advice would be appreciated.
  • lcharm
    Options
    I was going to respond before but I thought maybe Aegis or someone more qualified to would first so...

These are both recognised regulatory courses and they are on par with eachother with regards to the FSA and course content. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The FPC was replaced by the CFP now and is apperently slightly different to how it used to be but the "older" IFA's will tell you to go with the CFP as it's more longer standing.

Advantages/disadvantages of each?

CFP you have more exams but the syllabus is spread out over these exams so should be easier to revise for. You can only do the exams at set times with the CFP I think so not as flexible as IFS courses

CeFA on the other hand has less exams but means you have to do twice as much per exam (as I found out the hard way!) but has the flexibility of doing it anytime and virtually anywhere as you probably already know.

I'm on a course with (edit) New Leaf doing my cefa which cost me about £960 but i'm guessing you want a more economic option!
    - Thomas Dewar
  • clayshooter
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. Please let me know how you get on with New Lead and if they are worth the money. I have just paid for CeFA 2 and have a friend who is sending me the CD that you can get to help study. I think the £960 is worth it if it gets you through quickly. Good luck.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think the £960 is worth it if it gets you through quickly. Good luck.

Remember that it doesnt stop there. From 2010 you will have to have the diploma level exams unless you are already FPC equivalent qualified in which case you have until 2012 to get the diploma.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • sons_2
    sons_2 Posts: 97 Forumite
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    Remember that it doesnt stop there. From 2010 you will have to have the diploma level exams unless you are already FPC equivalent qualified in which case you have until 2012 to get the diploma.
    Thought I would bring this thread back as I have noticed a few mentions of the IFS and it's diploma, their diploma is in the process of gaining level 4 accreditation, the key word being level 4, there is no guarantee that it will get this so be careful when booking this exam, the safer/more expensive/more recognised option is the CII's diploma.
    I am a Financial Adviser.

Anything posted on this forum is for discussion purposes only. It should not be considered financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser who can advise you after finding out more about your situation.
  • lcharm
    Options
    Just like to add that the IFS DipFA does now have the accreditation of Level 4 and it's prerequisites are CeFA, FPC or IAC.

You need to register by the 17th April 2009 if you want to take it this year!

http://www.ifslearning.ac.uk/qualifications/courses/dipfa.cfm
    - Thomas Dewar
  • kimshimshim
    Options
    Hi there,

I have just recently returned to the UK and have now landed myself a nice p/t job working in a mortgage office paying over 10pounds/hr. Obviously I want to advance my career further, and have been swaying with what to take.

I decided to go with CEMAP as it is cheaper, and can help me get into a bigger financial institute that will pay part for the costs of further academic studies.

Hopefully I will pass. I am setting myself a target of 2 weeks on receipt of the first paper study material. They recommend 200hrs for the 3 papers, however, working in the industry I have an insight and I have plenty of time in the mornings and evenings.

Wish me luck.:o
  • Shamino
    Options
    Hi there

I am originally from Australia and was previously a paraplanner back at home.

I've completed an Advanced Diploma of Financial Services in Oz, but I was wondering if I could get individual prior learning accreditation for the course I've done back at home?

I am currently on a working holiday visa, and want to continue being a Paraplanner in london.

Are my qualifications sufficient for the UK financial services market? I completed my course with Kaplan back at home, so I'm not 100% whether I'll be able to get exemptions or not.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, it would be much appreciated. Cheers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure