We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Windows 8 and Avast problems.

Have had my new computer for a few weeks and am new to Windows 8. From the beginning the computer shuts itself down, stating that there is a problem and it needs to do a restart. Phone calls to my computer shop state it may be teething problems.
This happens nearly every time I use it. Thought I would run a scan on Avast but cannot get it to run at all. The maximium time I have achieved on the scan is just over two minutes before it shuts down.
I have now read that maybe I shouldn't have another anti- virus running with windows 8 and should remove it. Any thoughts? Am I fully covered by the Widows Defender?
Just need a bit of info as I am returning the computer on Monday for a check and want a little knowledge before I go!!

Comments

  • waddler_8
    waddler_8 Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    In Windows 8 Windows Defender is a rebranded version of Microsoft Security Essentials, so uninstall Avast and see if the crashes stop - you'll still be protected. If they stop then either WD isn't fully disabled so it conflicts with Avast, or there's a problem with Avast on Win8.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/windows-defender
  • GDT78
    GDT78 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I too had initial problems with Windows 8 and Avast. I found over the first couple of days Windows 8 did many updates, shutting the system down frequently. However now, after a week or so, the system has settled.
    Problems I found were with Avast and Browsers (Chrome, Firefox and IE10). I have moved to AVG and all my problems have disappeared.
    If you don't install any antivirus Windows 8 will default to Defender. Some consider this is sufficient for general on-line work. I personally wanted more so have installed AVG. Note, you can not have more than one. If you install AVG then Defender is automatically disabled.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.