New driveway - is MOT Type 1 allowed

Hi,

Creating an new driveway and getting conflicting advice.

Planning to put down a sub-base of say 150mm of Type 1 and then later on finish it with a permeable surface.

I know that if you have a non-permeable surface then you must have a run off to say a garden, however we are going with a permeable surface in accordance with permitted development permissions.

However is a Type 1 sub-base allowed?

Most sites that I look at say yes - however one or two say no.

As far as I can see it is the surface that is the important bit.

Thanks.

Comments

• macka0
    macka0 Posts: 87 Forumite
    Have a read at the pavingexpert.com, great site for loads of info
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    trouble with type 1 is the fines, these will wash out and the drive may settle.

when using permeable paving the full detail is layer of geotextile, 63-20 material, topped of with a layer of 20-5material, then a second layer of geotextile and then something like a 2-5mm grit as the bedding and jointing material.

For a permeamble drive I would probably not use 63-20 but increase the 20-5 material to a thickness of to 250mm.

Have a look at this:-
    http://www.heidelbergcement.com/uk/en/hanson/products/block_paving_and_suds/domestic_installing_a_permeable_driveway.htm
  • anotherbaldrick
    anotherbaldrick Posts: 2,335 Forumite
    edited 14 February 2013 at 8:29PM
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • Thanks - it would seem that Type 1 is much cheaper - however is it actually allowed?

I appreciate about the fines in the aggregate and that it might cause an issue further down the line with settling etc.

The problem is getting alternatives in my part of the country at a reasonable cost.

Thanks for the links, however I find a lot of advice is tailored towards the products that the sites sell and not always impartial.

Pavingexpert.com - http://pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm - suggests type 1, hence my confusion.
  • Type 1 can compact down and be almost as impermeable as hoggin. You will find that your local skip company will usually do a suitable reclaimed material (crushed brick, concrete ) that will have few fines and be cheaper than quarried aggregate but do just what you want.
    You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe (Henry IV part 2)
  • ian103
    ian103 Posts: 883 Forumite
    Type 1 is an older product, the other products are a much newer product and yes I would agree that you are likely to be charged more for them. The problem with type 1 is that as poster above states that it can be compacted to be almost impermeable.

Long term I'm not convinced that there won't be issues with permeable paving as the voids will fill up over time with all the silt etc.

If it was me I would try and get some crushed concrete that hasn't got too many fines in it. (or try for a recycled 40-75). Just watch recycled materials because they sometime have all sorts of rubbish in them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure