We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Tax on 1 year in Australia
dolphin_uk
Posts: 1 Newbie
in Cutting tax
Hi, I am currently working as a higher rate tax payer in Australia. I left the UK in Feb 2012 and will return in March 2013 having visited for a week in November. This was a planned 1 year contract abroad.
Whilst in Australia I have received tax benefits via LAFHA (living away from home allowance) and salary packaging (meals and entertainment) via work.
1) I assume that I will have to pay UK tax on my 2012-2013 Australian income based on the double taxation agreement, paying the difference of UK tax minus tax paid in Australia. As I have been in Oz for more than 6 months I think I am viewed as a Australian resident.
2) Does it make a difference if I decide not to start work in the UK prior to the start of the 2013-2014 tax year? My flight is due to arrive at the beginning of March.
3) Will I be taxed on my 'tax-allowances' e.g. LAFHA, salary packaging and professional related expenses in the UK?
Unfortunately, I think that I am going to have to pay lots of tax when I get back...
Thanks for any advice.
Whilst in Australia I have received tax benefits via LAFHA (living away from home allowance) and salary packaging (meals and entertainment) via work.
1) I assume that I will have to pay UK tax on my 2012-2013 Australian income based on the double taxation agreement, paying the difference of UK tax minus tax paid in Australia. As I have been in Oz for more than 6 months I think I am viewed as a Australian resident.
2) Does it make a difference if I decide not to start work in the UK prior to the start of the 2013-2014 tax year? My flight is due to arrive at the beginning of March.
3) Will I be taxed on my 'tax-allowances' e.g. LAFHA, salary packaging and professional related expenses in the UK?
Unfortunately, I think that I am going to have to pay lots of tax when I get back...
Thanks for any advice.
0
Comments
-
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/paye/employees/changes/work-abroad.htm
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-leave-uk.htm
might throw some light - otherwise check with HMRC.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards