MSE News: London bus double charge threat with Oyster and contactless card combo

"London bus passengers with both an Oyster card and a contactless credit or debit card could be charged twice..."
Read the full story:

London bus double charge threat with Oyster and contactless card combo

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• Ive no idea why you would keep the two together anyway.
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
  • Ive no idea why you would keep the two together anyway.
    I keep my Oyster card along with my credit cards in my wallet, purely for convenience to save carrying the Oyster separately. But not all my cards are contactless. I guess as more cards become so I'll have to rethink this.
  • alanwsg
    alanwsg Posts: 763 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Ive no idea why you would keep the two together anyway.
    I've no idea why you would keep them separately!
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    When my contactless card is together with my stagecoach smartcard neither of them work unless they are separated.

This is my own experience so I appreciate other experiences may be had by others.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • stclair wrote: »
    When my contactless card is together with my stagecoach smartcard neither of them work unless they are separated.

This is my own experience so I appreciate other experiences may be had by others.

Same experience for me. Although it could be something to do with having 4 or 5 wireless cards in my wallet (combination of ID cards and credit cards plus the oyster).
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 11 February 2013 at 5:49PM
    Now that pensioner bus passes have to be offered up against a wave and go pad on most buses - I find my one won't work unless it is carefully extracted from other cards and presented all by itself. Being top of the pile is not enough.

[Yes I have one of those free three pocket card holders, it fits inside my fist and wraps round a wad of notes - it can be a bus pass (backed up by a library card) or a rail card (backed up by an oyster card) or a wad of bank debit or credit cards etc. fronted by a Tesco points card. Also wedged in there are mini time tables and notes of selected bus numbers and other odds and ends including a book of stamps. The whole thing goes into a zipped breast pocket.]

Thanks for the warning.
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,627 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Here is some extra guff on it:
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tickets/Using_contactless_payment_cards_on_buses.pdf

It would be wise not to rely on this method of payment if the card decides a PIN is necessary for the transaction. Probably best to carry another card, er.. like Oyster.

Plus daily price caps are not applied to contactless cards.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Does anyone know if there is any technical reason why they can't get just replace Oyster with contactless credit/debit cards?

Obviously single fares on the bus etc. are easy to do - but could they track which card is paying for what journeys over the course of a day/week and adjust the rates when you hit a cap like they do with Oyster?
  • Happens to me quite a lot lol, holds the Q up lol!
    “When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.” Socrates

Haters gonna hate
  • alanwsg wrote: »
    I've no idea why you would keep them separately!

For me I always keep my Oyster separate and in a proper wallet. This is so I dont have to keep dragging out my money wallet and flashing it about everywhere.

Ive seen many a woman on getting on a bus and pulling out her massive purse which then goes back into an open pocket - just asking for trouble that.

Also, for me, should I lose one wallet then I at least still have the means of getting home as I will either have cash or an Oyster.

See the extra level of protection you are affording yoruself there ;)
    "If you no longer go for a gap, you are no longer a racing driver" - Ayrton Senna
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure