PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

I can't cook, can you help please?

1234568»

Comments

• CCP
    CCP Posts: 5,061 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Assuming you have an oven, how about French bread pizza? Heat up the oven (to about gas 6 / 200 degrees), get a chunk of French bread and split it down the middle, put on a baking tray and top with a few spoonfuls of tomato sauce (like jilly278's, or from a jar), top with grated cheese and whatever pizza-type toppings you fancy, then stick in the oven until the cheese goes brown and bubbly.

Nicely simple at the end of a long day, and so tasty!
  • yummymommy
    yummymommy Posts: 584 Forumite
    Hi Miss Scarlett and everyone else. What a lovely thread.

I read it with interest because although I am in my 40's my husband does most of the cooking and I'm a bit of a pain cos I'm a veggie. I do bake with my children though. :A I want to start cooking from scratch to educate my children and save some pennies.

Which leads me to my first question! When I melt chocolate I usually put it over a pan of simmering water. It's all very messy then trying to transfer the melted chocolate into two bowl for the children. So what's the microwave method ? Do you just bung some chocolate in a bowl ? Silly question I know!:rotfl:

Second question - any recommendations on breadmakers ?:j
    The past is over & done & cannot be changed. This is the only moment we can experience - Louise Hay
    "You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
    -- Buddha
  • jackieglasgow
    jackieglasgow Posts: 9,436 Forumite
    bung it in a bowl, heat with your microwave on half power in 30 second bursts, and stir everytime you check it as it will burn very easily, and if not stirred it doesn't collapse and can look as if it's still hard (eg you'll still be able to see the cadbury's sign on the little squares even when almost fully melted if not stirring). Low heat and check regularly.

It shouldn't be too messy to split between the two children, just heat in one bowl then tip half into the second, and use a silicone spatula if you have one then you can scrape every last bit in without any mess or waste!

HTH Jackie X
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • yummymommy wrote: »
    Hi Miss Scarlett and everyone else. What a lovely thread.

I read it with interest because although I am in my 40's my husband does most of the cooking and I'm a bit of a pain cos I'm a veggie. I do bake with my children though. :A I want to start cooking from scratch to educate my children and save some pennies.

Which leads me to my first question! When I melt chocolate I usually put it over a pan of simmering water. It's all very messy then trying to transfer the melted chocolate into two bowl for the children. So what's the microwave method ? Do you just bung some chocolate in a bowl ? Silly question I know!:rotfl:

Second question - any recommendations on breadmakers ?:j

As far as the chocolate goes I'd stick with your current method and use two smaller bowls inside the biggest pan you can find to steam in. I wouldn't trust the micro to melt chocolate without granulating it too.

With respect to breadmakers, everyone seems to rate the panasonic one.
    SIMPLE SIMON - Met a pie man going to the fair. Said Simple Simon to the pie man, "What have you got there?" Said the pie man unto Simon, "Pies, you simpleton!"
  • Panasonic Breadmaker definitely. Customize the recipe eg I use olive oil instead of butter and I don't use the dried milk powder either.

It's much easier to melt chocolate in a microwave. Break into small pieces, melt on medium power for a minute at a time and stir each time you check it until fully melted.
  • yummymommy
    yummymommy Posts: 584 Forumite
    Thanks Jackie, Happy and Jilly for your tips, they're hugely appreciated.

I am now going onto comparison sites to look at suggested Breadmaker. Oooh I'm sooo excited :j:j is that sad ? !:confused:
    The past is over & done & cannot be changed. This is the only moment we can experience - Louise Hay
    "You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
    -- Buddha
  • Dear Scarlett,
    many moons ago I got slung in at the deep end in the cafe I worked in in Canada. The baker had left & the owners hadn't been organised enough to get a replacement, they asked me if I'd have a go!
    Never looked back since (I had gone out looking for a nursing post which never materialisd)!
    I have a really easy muffin recipe for you which is pretty much foolproof - just remember to turn your oven down by 20 degrees or so if it's fan assisted. Everything is measured in CUPS & SPOONS & fractions thereof - you can buy plastic versions of these in any decent cookshop & it saves messing about with scales.
    This recipe consists of a WET bowl & a DRY bowl of ingredients. :beer:

ORANGE & CHOC-CHIP muffins
    oven 200c/Gas 6
    Place paper muffin cups in a muffin tray (you may need 2 trays)
    wet bowl-whisk this lot together & put to one side
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 eggs
    1/3 cup orange juice
    rind of 2 oranges (squeeze them to get your juice)
    1 cup plain/natural yoghurt

dry bowl-mix this lot together
    2 & a 1/2 cups plain flour, sieved into bowl
    pinch salt
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1 TEASPOON bicarbonate soda
    1 packet plain choc chips (100g)

Now tip the dry bowl into the wet bowl & mix fairly quickly until everything has been incorporated. Spoon into the muffin cups, sprinkle a little brown sugar on the top & put them in the oven for 20 mins. Check them then - do the classic - stick a knitting needle or very sharp knife into one of them - if it comes out clean they're done - if not give them a few more mins. Place on cooling rack, then turn them out onto the rack after 5 mins. Et voila.
    They'll look fab & everyone will be impressed.

Good luck lovely!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport