We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
New property - EDF supply Gas & Electric - need to change
dawnie1972
Posts: 2,428 Forumite
in Energy
I recently moved into a property and EDF were the supplier for the gas & electric. They have put me onto a "deemed" tariff until I decide if i am staying with them. They have offered me the Blue Plus fixed to June 2014 with prices as follows:
Electricity
Standing Charge 18.09/day
Charge 12.54/kwh
Gas
Standing Charge 26.25/day
Charge 3.969/kwh
In addition they have offered £8.40 dual fuel discount and 6% direct debit discount.
My supplier at my previous property (Eon) were very honest and said they couldnt compare with these prices. My problem is that EDF are awful, have had problems with them years ago and they havent changed. I received a bill from them last week and despite me calling them when I moved into the property giving them opening meter readings they have made no record of these so the bill was estimated. I advised i wanted to take the Blue Plus tariff and set up a direct debit for £100/month - they took my bank details. So today I have received a further bill, for £292 (my previous bill was £193), asking for up to date meter readings (I gave these the other day), still quoting me the deemed tariff, and saying this is the quarterly amount required in advance - why did I bother calling the other day.
Can anyone advise if, based on the tariff i have quoted above there are cheaper options with good customer service.
Electricity
Standing Charge 18.09/day
Charge 12.54/kwh
Gas
Standing Charge 26.25/day
Charge 3.969/kwh
In addition they have offered £8.40 dual fuel discount and 6% direct debit discount.
My supplier at my previous property (Eon) were very honest and said they couldnt compare with these prices. My problem is that EDF are awful, have had problems with them years ago and they havent changed. I received a bill from them last week and despite me calling them when I moved into the property giving them opening meter readings they have made no record of these so the bill was estimated. I advised i wanted to take the Blue Plus tariff and set up a direct debit for £100/month - they took my bank details. So today I have received a further bill, for £292 (my previous bill was £193), asking for up to date meter readings (I gave these the other day), still quoting me the deemed tariff, and saying this is the quarterly amount required in advance - why did I bother calling the other day.
Can anyone advise if, based on the tariff i have quoted above there are cheaper options with good customer service.
A home is not a home ..... without a dog 
0
Comments
-
The cheapest tariff cannot be deduced just by comparing unit charges and s/cs's-there are too many other variables, Also we don't know your actual kWh consumption.
So put your estimated annual kWh figures into any comp site and the answer will be given.No free lunch, and no free laptop
0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.6K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards