We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
loyalty does not pay
mad_mam_of2
Posts: 15 Forumite
i am coming to the end of my fixed rate deal with S*****der, I rang them to check what rate they could offer but they said the standard rate (4.24%) was the best i can get. My mortgage is only 34k and is due to be paid off in 12 years. I have had 2 mortgages with them now and been a loyal customer for 19 years, Yet if I was a brand new customer they could offer me a much lower rate with no fees.How is that fair?:mad:
0
Comments
-
You on interest-only, by any chance?
It seems IO borrowers are routinely told this. If you change to repayment and/or open a 123 account, the product you are offered seems to improve.
There are plenty of fee-free remortgage offers out there for you to look at if you aren't on interest-only. Remember to factor in Santander's discharge fee, £225 though.I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
hi, i'm on a repayment mortgage - i was bitten by the interest only sting on my first mortgage as a naive 19 year old!:eek:0
-
mad_mam_of2 wrote: »i am coming to the end of my fixed rate deal with S*****der, I rang them to check what rate they could offer but they said the standard rate (4.24%) was the best i can get. My mortgage is only 34k and is due to be paid off in 12 years. I have had 2 mortgages with them now and been a loyal customer for 19 years, Yet if I was a brand new customer they could offer me a much lower rate with no fees.How is that fair?:mad:
New customers will borrow more. So will be far more profitable.
Why not remortgage if you are unhappy with the rates on offer?0 -
My fixed rate ends in April with Santander, I was offered a new 3.49% 2 year fix or 3.99% 3 year or 5 year fix, both fees free and at 80% LTV. The only difference is my mortgage is £85k nd 23 years left, so a bit higher than the original query. I don't have a 123 account either, though they did their best to sell me one
It might be worth asking again if that is what they have available (as of last week anyway)???? 0 -
Surely you have realised by now that the financial industry does not reward customer loyalty??"You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"0
-
Santander want mortgage customers to move to other lenders.
Reduce there mortgage book in the UK
Simple they want you to leave so take your business elsewhere
Good Luck0 -
Similar to here? https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4434539MFiT-T3 #149: {Q4/14} (£46,447)-->(£0) ~ +£46,447=100%
Mortgage Free: 1st October 2014 :j0 -
Add in that the rate you will go to is 4.74% and not the 4.24%
If you can go elsewhere and see what you can get..I am a Mortgage Broker
You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it.This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser code of conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.0 -
One man's loyalty, is another man's inertia.
Lenders rely on inertia. Inertia pays for better deals for new borrowers, at the expense of existing borrowers.
Introductory shagpile. Existing customer lino.
Inertia fuels the "compare the confused supermarket" culture and ensures those who stay with the same provider, pay for the ones who move every year.
Sad really.I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.0 -
maninthestreet wrote: »Surely you have realised by now that the financial industry does not reward customer loyalty??
If there was a better option available. Would this customer stay? No.
Let's keep matters in perspective.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

